8274 Solinoid Replacement

I just replaced the solenoids on my 8274 with new ones from Advanced. I used a round Ford type. They match the ones that came off exactly.....I thought. Now I'm questioning if they will stand up. If I take the cable all the way out and then pull it all in, it's fine until I stop and attempt to restart. When that happens the solenoids "click" but do not actually "pull in". By this I mean I hear an audible click, but measured with a fluke meter no voltage passes. If I let the solenoids sit for about 30 seconds I can then complete the cable take up.

I've checked and thoroughly cleaned all connections from the solenoid pack to the battery.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
City Jeep

by the way....new machine.

Daren McMorris

Reply to
City Jeep

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Huh? I don't follow you bill.

Daren

Reply to
City Jeep

You need continuous duty "Ford type" solenoids rather than starter solenoids. They look the same on the outside, but are not the same on the inside.

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills

Thanks! Just talked to a guy at a starter shop and he told me the same thing. I guess they were getting too hot and not working.

Daren

Reply to
DMcMorris