1997 Mustang GT won't start

What's up fellows,

Ok here's the skinny. I have a 1997 Mustang GT 5 spd. I have not had any issues until recently. About a week ago I went out to start my car and it did nothing. All of the indicator lights came on and the exterior lights as well, but the engine would not turn over. I waited a few seconds and tried to start it again the car started up just fine. Later on the night I was able to start it with no problem. The next day I went out to start it and the problem was back, but this time it would not start for nothing. It is not making any clicking sounds that would indicate a battery issue. The engine still doesn't turn over either. I am lost!! I have no idea what could be wrong. If I had to guess I am thinking may be something electrical, but I am no expert. I have tried jumping it off just to be on the safe side, still no joy. Can anyone out there shed some light on this for me?

Thanks

Reply to
3007550

Well the first thing I'd do is inspect all the connections at the battery, starter relay (solenoid) and starter cables for something obvious. Then I'd pull the primary wire on the solenoid and have someone crank the car to see if you are getting 12 volts by using a meter or test light. If you are getting good voltage then re-attach the wire to the solenoid and try again. If the solenoid doesn't go click then it is most likely bad ( but it could have poor ground too) If it does go click but no cranking of motor then test the starter cable while cranking the key to see if it gets 12 volts. If not then the relay is bad, replace. If you get 12 volts then most likely the fault is at the starter or cable connection. If you don't get 12 volts on the primary wire on the first test it is an ignition switch circuit issue ( bad switch or wiring) or a bad or misadjusted clutch safety switch. HTH StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Have someone measure attery voltage while you are trying to start it. I've seen batteries go dead almost completely instantly. Started in the am, dead in the afternoon. They usually have enough juice to work the lights. Also make sure the battery connections are good. (pull them and clean them) Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

Reply to
3007550

As Rein already mentioned, pull both battery cables (always disconnect ground cable first, then positive.. and when re-attaching, re-attach positive first, then ground--be safe!) and clean them. You can get a cleaning tool at walmart for like $2 that works great. I just bought one yesterday. Made my posts & terminals shiney silver again. See if that helps. Also, StuK gave some more in-depth advice that you should follow, but start w/ the simple stuff (above).

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires

Reply to
<memset

I would be highly suspicious of the clutch switch. Try pushing extra-hard on the clutch as you try to start it. Also try working the clutch in and out a few times.

I had almost the identical experience with a Jeep CJ. Sometimes it just wouldn't crank, though the lights and everything would work. I'd get out and check wiring; everything was fine, so I'd hop back in and try again - it started right up. Turned out to be the clutch switch; I just wasn't pushing it hard enough.

John

Reply to
John Vannoy

yeah, I've had it once where the car did not start nor click at all. I checked out the terminals on the battery, still looked clean. (battery was in there for 4 months or so) I then disconnected/reconnected the terminals and car fired right up.

Rein

Reply to
3007550