85 Scrambler Problem-no tail/brake lights

Help please. My 85 Scrambler, which I just purchased, has no running tail lights or no brake lights even though the headlights, and front and rear turn signals do work. The interior dash lights do not work either, but I assume replacing the head light switch will fix that problem. Would the tail light problem possibly be part of the head light switch problem. Could it be in the steering column/ignition switch wiring? Can some one help me get started on what to look for and what to check out. Thanks,

Reply to
dwgrulke

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

First, buy a CJ manual of some sort with a wiring diagram and a cheap-o mulitmeter from RadioShack. $30 or so well spent.

If front and rear turn signals work, I don't think it's anything in the steering column. It's true that some of the wiring for the lights go through there, but usually it's the turn signal functionality that bites the dust first.

As you guessed, first replace the headlight switch. Also check your fuses to make sure they're not blown, they're the right value, and they're actually there (missing fuses are quite common). If that don't fix your problem, trace to a common point on the wiring diagram. There's not too many common points on a lighting system, and tracing the lighting wiring diagram on an '85 is pretty straight forward.

Reply to
Michael White

The tail lights and the dashboard share the same fuse.

The brake lights are fed through the turn signal switch -- when you apply the brakes and turn at the same time (assuming you use the turn signals) the brake lights are turned off and the turn signal on that side is turned on. Since the bulb is the same for both, it is important to understand that the electricity is a bit different. The electricity between the brake pedal and the brake lamps is interupted by the turn signal switch. The key to your troubles is in the steering column. You can try testing my theory by gently moving the turn signal stalk while using the brakes to see if you can get the lights to come on. My '81 CJ5 had a hissy fit in this area not long ago, and I found that I could press the stalk a bit to get it to make contact and allow the brake light to come on. I had this problem on one side only, and you seem to be having it on both sides, but I am pretty sure you can clean the switch, or you may find that it must be replaced. Either way, it has to come out first ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I highly recommend you get the Haynes CJ manual. It has excellent wiring diagrams in it.

You sound like you have a couple different issues.

First off I would be wanting to verify all the bulbs are good. CJ's can have some strange lighting quirks if you have burned out bulb filaments. The brake and signals ground through the light fixture bolts that can go rusty and the running lights ground via the wiring harness.

The tail lights or running lights because you have them up front as well are on the same fuse as the dash lights. I would start there.

The brake lights and signals use the same bulb filaments. I would start at the easiest point, the brake light switch above the pedal before getting into the steering column switch.

Why do you think you have a headlight switch issue?

Mike

Mike Romain

Thanks for the info. I think that the dash lights may not work because of a defective headlight switch for this reason. In the past I had such a problem (no tail light problem at that incident) where no dash lights work. The problem ended up being that the "rheostat" coil in the headlight switch got brittle, broke and therefore there was no contact and no juice going to the dash lights. I replaced the switch and everything began to work. Dan

Reply to
dwgrulke

In this case, a blown fuse is more likely because the running lights are also out, but....

Your turn signals are also on a different fuse from the brake lights. The hazard flashers are on the brake light fuse as well as the clock. I would be checking the hazards out also.

Mike

Mike Romain