85 to 89 Octane Update

to follow up my last post, I refilled my 2001 Grand with 89 octane gas rather than the cheapest gas of 85....there was a good differance in the mountain pass lanes, I had more power to keep up with the speed limit and even passed others on Interstate 70....maybe a bad tank of 85 but still I will go with the 89 till I get down out of the 8 to 10,000 ft range of highways....

I did the usual pretrip maintence, new airfilter, oil change , new tires & alignment and tune up....

thanks to all for your input, even Bill... : )

Reply to
Mindy

I would suggest that you stay with 89 or better down in the low lands too.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

You may notice an increase in mileage, too. Probably enough to nullify the price difference. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

I always run the highest octane I can get. Starts better, runs better, better fuel mileage, cleaner intake and injectors over the long haul, and only about $6 to $8 dollars more per tankfull. Better than any additive I can buy.

Just my .02

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

With other cars (never a problem with my XJ), when I have had pinging on a full tank of gas, I have added a few mothballs (nitrobenzene) into the tank. It has not shown any harm to the engines of several of my own or other family members' cars/trucks, and some permanently cut to a lower-than-reccommended octane by adding a few at each fill-up.

...and their woolen seat covers seem to last l>

Reply to
98XJ

lol

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Mindy proclaimed:

Try the midgrade if you have the 4.0. A tad cheaper than premium and seems to work just as well.

I was never able to burn anything but Valero regular in a 4.0 ZJ [stock except for cat back] down around sea level in California/Nevada without mild pinging. Midgrade worked for the other brands.

Spring and summer in Colorado I was able to run regular from just about any brand and still pass the "I-70 test" from Idaho Springs up and over the pass. However, now that they appear to be cutting over to winter blends, I've had to move up to mid grade to keep the mild ping down and slog it up the hills. Debating a stroker, but also debating an SRT-8 heh heh.

Reply to
Lon

Yeah, but you gotta admit, it is kinda hard on the local moth population, and sooner or later some tree hugger is gonna come after you for removing them from all those moths.

Seriously, a can or two of a few of the better engine boosters every few tankfuls seems to work about as well.

Allegedly the old mothballs in the tank is an urban legend.

98XJ proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

30+ years ago, mothballs were made with Naptha, which boosted something (octane?) in the gas and made it seem like you had more power (Never tested it with any actual measuring device). Supposedly, you ran the risk of deteriorating any rubber hoses that came in contact with the mixture, but I never used them enough to see that happen.

But at some point in the past they stopped using Naptha, and mothballs were made with a different chemical that wouldn't be considered a gasoline "additive" .

noneofyourbusiness