Trailer Hitch Wiring - After market Reese

Greetings, I installed a hitch, snapped on the wiring harness back at the access panel behind the spare. I have not yet run the fused power line to the battery as the instructions indicate.

Reading the shop manual I see a 50 amp fuse in the PDC for trailer wiring. What is its purpose , since i didnt get a factory hitch.

Is there a better place to tap power than having to run a line up to the battery?

97 ZJ Limited 318

thanks, james

Reply to
jamest

I don't see any 50-amp fuses anywhere. I do see a 20-amp fuse (#1) labeled Power Antenna and Trailer Tow. This 20-amp fuse goes to the body harness in the right-rear quarter panel. If you had the factory tow package, the tow connector would have plugged into the body harness at that point. The purpose of the line is to feed 12-volts to the trailer lamp relays in the Jeep, as well as the 12-volt feed going to the trailer for lights, battery charge, etc. That would be the best place to tap power for the trailer unless you need more current. In that case, I would go straight to the battery.

Dick

Reply to
Dick

thanks, i will doublecheck what fuse i was looking at and hunt down that harness.

Reply to
jamest

Were you looking at the Power Junction block by the passenger kick panel by chance?

I was referring to the Power distribution block under the hood --where there is clearly has a 50AMP fuse marked trailer tow , 3rd one in from the right.

50A

Your advice to tap the harness is a great idea and a lot more elegant than runn> >

Reply to
jamest

I seem to be having a trouble with numbers lately. You said 1997, and I read 1993. Sorry about that. The information about the wiring harness is probably incorrect also, but there should be something similar in the 1997. Might be on a different side in the rear.

Dick

Reply to
Dick