85 Wagoneer question.

I just bought an 85 jeep wagoneer with 35,000 on a new 2.7L V-6 and i have a question.This Jeep seems to be unexpectedly gutless.I mean it runs and starts fine but I can punch it and it`s just plain gutless.I would be very afraid to even try to pass someone in it really.New plugs , wires ect. Is this normal?Or where can i start do try to get some more power?Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

Reply to
DVL

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

a heavycar and a small engine = gutless. no fix. john

Reply to
johnny

They only used that engine for a couple years because they were like that new.

Unfortunately you are stuck with a V6 engine too, the firewall is too close to drop in the straight 6, 4.0 engine.

Mike

DVL wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Well I had an 86 XJ with that V6 engine and about 140K miles, and it wasn't as gutless as the 2.5l engine in my old 87 XJ. Actually I thought it was pretty decent, until I bought one with the 4.0l. :-)

When is yours gutless? Off idle, or when driving at speed? Do a good tune and maybe advance the distributor timing some, but watch out for any pinging. Might have a weak fuel pump, or just a dirty fuel filter or air filter.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1