87 Cherokee 4L idles very fast sometimes

Sometimes, cold or warm, my 87 4.0L Cherokee idles as fast as

3,500 RPM. Pulling up on accelerator does not help. O-rings have been replaced. I was thinking of cleaning contacts on computer and cleaning the throttle body next. Any other suggestions? Anything else to clean while I have the TB off? My 87 Clymer shop manual doesn't really have any info on cleaning the TB Thanks Dean
Reply to
DDKreiter

Ours does that every couple years and I clean the contacts on all the switches on the throttle body, particularly the TPS connection with a spray contact cleaner. WD40 will work in a pinch, but an electronic cleaner is better.

I then use some spark plug boot protector type dielectric grease on the plug seal.

Lasts a couple years normally.

Mike

DDKreiter wrote:

Reply to