hopping during turn

The old ladies 98 grand cherokee is hopping when making sharp rh or lh turns. She had not use the 4wd for a while until the recent snows. Could it be possible that the 4wd is stuck on even though 2 hi selected. Has anyone else experienced this What would be the cure. Mike Romain I would value your input on this one. Thanks to all for assistance.

Have a 88 yj myself and love the tinkering. Just want to make sure I'm on the right trac.

Reply to
JEEPR

Is this happening when she's on ice or snow, or are her tires on pavement when that happens?

Jerry

JEEPR wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Could be. Is it continuous or just after she shifts back to 2wd? Sometimes it takes a few seconds to shift back. If it's auto, it helps to let up on the gas or shift the tranny to N for a second to unload the drivetrain.

In case it is sticking continuously, verify that you can shift it into 4lo as well...just to get everything working smoothy. Ideally you should shift in into 4wd every so often just to make sure everything works correctly, so it will work when you need it.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
FrankW

It happens on drive pavement and tire press ok It is continuous.

Reply to
JEEPR

That it's being driven in 4x4 on pavement is why it's happening. That particular transfer case is designed for use offroad and that problem will happen whenever it's driven on any surface that has good traction.

Jerry

JEEPR wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

You are asking 2 questions here. It is OK to ask two questions, but I wanted you to be sure you understood that.

1st, it sounds like you are using 4WD on dry pavement, and the drive train is binding up. This causes a hop or a wobble in the steering wheel as the tires try to slip on the ground to release the EXCESSIVE stress you are putting on it. If you continue to use 4WD on hard pavement, you WILL destroy the tcase. It isn't a matter of IF, it's a matter of WHEN.

2nd, if the tcase and/or front axles is bound up, then it can remain in 4WD after you have selected 2WD. The way to get out of this bind is to select

2WD (2HI), then go in Reverse for about 25 ft. If the front end is still bound up, repeat Reverse. You might get it to drop out of the bind if you could find a place on dirt or gravel.

WHAT IS HAPPENING is that the transfer case can not accomodate the speed differences in the front and rear axles. Because of this fundamental truth, then there will be stress built up in the tcase. If the tires are on dirt or gravel, the stress is released because the tires are slipping. Because you are driving on the street, the stress can not be released easily and you feel the buckling and lurching that results from the tires slipping on the pavement. The differentials (large bulb-shaped parts in the middle of the axles) accomodate speed differences from left to right. These differences come from the outside tire travelling further than the inside tire during a turn. The front and rear tires also travel different arcs in a turn, therefore they also turn at different speeds. So, in 4WD, all four tires can turn at different speeds, this is especially true in the hard turns that you described in your symptoms. Not only do the left and right side tires go different speeds, but the front and rear tires go at different speeds as well. The tcase is not designed to accomodate the differences from front to rear, as the differentials are designed to do for right to left.

The front axle is connected to the driveshaft via a slip joint kind of arrangement inside the axle itself. When you select 4WD, either 4HI or 4LO, there is vacuum that is supplied via the transfer case to the front axle. This vacuum activates a fork that moves the slip joint over splines on the axle shaft. You are describing a symptom where the slip joint is not releasing. A reason it is not is that the axle shafts are bound up, and you unbind them by going backwards. You do not need speed, in fact speed is probably problematic for inducing the slip joint to release. You could experiment with gently turning the steering wheel from side to side. This will cause the axle halves to go at slightly different speeds, and the slip joint can slip more easily.

Your '88 YJ has the same limitations, by the way.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

It now appears that the shifter is out of sequence, when selected to 2 hi indicates part time, when selected part time indicates full time, when selected full time acts like neutral, when selected 4 lo indicates part time how's that for weird

Jeff thanks for your help tried the back up thing no joy, don't give up on me if you got anymore hints drop them on me

Reply to
JEEPR

Ahh, an easy fix at least!

That either means you have the linkage out of adjustment which is a quick fix down under or you have a busted motor or tranny mount which has shifted things so the linkage just thinks it is out of adjustment which also is a relatively easy fix.

Mike

JEEPR wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Well, that's easy to fix.

The select lever goes through the floor and connects to a shaft. As you push and pull the lever, it causes the shaft to slide in and out, selecting the available options in the tcase. There is a bolt that attaches (clamps) the lever to the shaft, the bolt is loose. The bolt can come loose, then bind on the shaft in the incorrect position. Move the selector until N is selected, not indicated but actually selected. Then losen the bolt so it does not hold the lever to the shaft, and move the lever to the N position, then retighten the bolt. Test and adjust as necessary.

The bolt can be seen from underneath the vehicle, well, it can be seen on a Cherokee and a TJ, I am not certain about the Grand.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

thanks guys, it was $167 worth of bent lever to take out and straightened and re install. Pressed for time, she needs it to get to work, so could not afford down time, also just have the driveway no shelter and although love to tinker I prefer fairer weather. Once again thanks for all the input.

Reply to
JEEPR

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Now you need to ask just 'how' this lever got bent?

Do you have a snapped off tranny or engine mount? Did it hit something? High center on a stump?

I have seen some really twisted up rigs off road and have never heard of the shift linkage being 'bent'.

Mike

JEEPR wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Yes that is probably "crabbing". I get that on my 99 cherokee as well on sharp turns on dry pavement in =

4X4. Doesn't happen on snow or dirt.

traction.

Reply to
Musashi

Umm, around here anyway, 'crabbing' or 'crab walking' is a locked rear diff vehicle trying to go up a snowy hill.

Mike

Musashi wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

"Crabbing" was the term used by my Jeep dealer (service dept) for the front wheels shaking when making a hard turn on hard pavement while in =

4 wheel. Not that my Jeep dealer is any genius.
Reply to
Musashi

straightened

fundamental

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

'Grabbing' is the term I would use... ;-)

Mike

Musashi wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Me neither. but I _have_ seen the bolt come lose and let the lever slid on the shaft. Even if the lever bends, sliding it on the shaft and tightening the bolt is as good a fix as any. $167 seems to be way more than it should cost to fix this.

straightened

fundamental

Reply to
Jeff Strickland