88 sport

Hi, New to jeeps. Looking at a nice 1988 sport 5 speed. I have been told to stay away from 89s do to a weak tranny. Is this true for 88s also? This jeep has a plow so I am very concerned about the drivetrain. I have plowed for years with 1 ton pickups and have seen the toll plowing takes and the drivetrains. Jeep seems so small and light to plow with. Thanks

Reply to
calhoun
4 cyl or 6? 6 cyl Will have the dreaded Pugot tranny, the same one that give me no trouble in my '87. 4cyl will have Asian 5 which is not great, not bad.

As for the plow, I'm less c> Hi,

Reply to
RoyJ

"calhoun" wrote in news:Zmy2g.1269$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

I would be concerned too.

Reply to
Johnathon

I personally would never buy a vehicle someone used as a plow..... that is pretty much an admission it has been abused.

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
RoyJ

Quite true, I would not buy a lifted vehicle or a stock one that had been used off road.

Reply to
billy ray

We have that 'dreaded' tranny in our 88 and 87 Cherokees. One has 315K km and the other has 385K km on it. Both seem to work very well.

It is the crap design clutch that is the pain. Internal slave....

I personally wouldn't buy a plow vehicle, especially one that old.... If I were to consider it, I would take it to a Jeep shop for a full inspection first. That would be a well spent 50 or $100.00....

Mike

Mike Romain

Heh, I agree with Mike and anyone else who recommended not buying a plow vehicle. It's not just the drive train either. That body is probably warped, metal fatigued, spot welds popped...

Off road vehicles too.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I have to take exception with "I'd not reccomnend......." Sure I'd love to find a '79 CJ5 with disk brakes, power steering, 304 V-8, T18a tranny with granny gear, boxed frame, never driven in snow and salt, 10 k miles, no modifactations except for the unused Warn winch, not a spec of rust, that had been stored for the last 20 years up on blocks, and had never been either off road or used in any other abusive situation (like plowing). And of course the price should be half what I paid for my YJ. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! So you have to pick your poison and deal with it.

I've seen Jeep plow rigs used at a lake cabin that are used twice a winter max. All you guys that won't buy one with a plow just lower the price enough so that I can buy it cheap and sell the plow and I get the Jeep for a song. Of course you have to know what to look for, I've also seen wildly abused pickups used for plowing that crab 4" over, bent frame, multiple welds on the front frame members, etc. That's what happens when you put 2000 pounds of sand in the bed, try and plow gravel drives at 15 to 20 mph.

Earle Hort> Heh, I agree with Mike and anyone else who recommended not buying a plow

Reply to
RoyJ

You can still find plenty of rigs that never saw a plow or even a gravel road. I am not saying that a plow rig might not be a good bargain, but statistically they are the last ones you should be looking at.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

CJ's have completely disappeared from the radar in the last few years around here. I bought my YJ in '98, started thinking about a CJ-5 in

2000, a good number of rigs showed up then. This year I've seen ONE for sale.

1979 Jeep CJ5 Project, needs body, have all the parts, $900

I'll take > You can still find plenty of rigs that never saw a plow or even a gravel

Reply to
RoyJ

There may be a few (very few) Jeeps with plows that were maintained lovingly by their owners who used them once or twice a year to clear only their own paved driveway.

On the other hand 99.9 % were used by businesses who consider them depreciable and then disposable and driven by people with little or no training who have nothing invested into the vehicle.

While I might lift a Jeep myself I would not buy one already lifted or with other obvious signs of off-road use.

Nor would I buy a performance oriented car with huge tires, a monster system, or other evidence that the previous owner was a teenaged boy.

There are too many vehicles out there with none of these risk factors but if you find a good one .... buy it quick!

Reply to
billy ray

I have one across the street.

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

That's what I said before, when I was referring to spot welds going "Pop!", "Pop!" The previous owner would not have heard it at all, what with all the scraping of the plow over rocks, groaning of suspension, and sand bags bouncing around in the back.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
RoyJ

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
RoyJ

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I thought an 88 'sport' would be a Cherokee also....

Doesn't change my opinion on buying a 'plow vehicle' even if it is a YJ. I see a YJ with a plow every winter in my area. He is commercial. 'I' wouldn't want it even if it was free because I live in the rust belt....

Mike

Mike Romain