89 4cyc swap for 92 4.0

i have a 89 2.5and a rusted out 92 jeep with a I-6... how much work is it to swap the I-6.. and also i have called around and found a shop to sell me a 4.7 L instead of my 4.0 and too do the swap for 2600.. dose that sound reasonable?... what option would be better

Reply to
Jon

also with my 89 thats running right now i had it taken to a shop to fix the clutch... it started to leake fluided... i have had it in there several times and they replaced the mast and slave and all the linkage and say the clutch is fine but they still cant fix the dam thing.. dose anyone know y i keep either losen fluid or pressure..?

Reply to
Jon

Because you are taking it to the wrong shop. A competent shop could fix this in one visit, two if they make an honest mistake. If you keep going back, and they say the clutch is fine, but it just doesn't work, then they are incompetent. That is how we define incompetent mechanics--people who can't fix things.

I would anticipate fewer problems swapping the 92 4.0, because you have the complete donor vehicle and the model difference is only three years. Is the

4.7 you are thinking of a V-8? If so, it is not a good candidate for a replacement engine. There are too many model year differences, and the 4.7 was never put in an 89 Jeep at the factory.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

no the 4.7 is a I-6 that was modded.. was origanly a 4.0

Reply to
Jon

Reply to
aGraham

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Mustang injectors will work for the 4.5-4.7 stroked 4.0 jeep engine. It's been a long time since I set up one of these. There are numerous web pages that address this issue.

Bill, you've got to get out a little more. Everyone knows that if you take a 4.0 block and pistons and install a 258 crank and rods, you will get a 4.5 stroker motor. If you bore the block you can get as much as a 4.7 out of it.

Jim Smith

Reply to
Jim Smith

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

In that case it sounds like a good deal. Is the shop doing the work going to give you some kind of warranty? I would expect at least thirty or maybe even ninety days, long enough for you to figure out if everything is hooked up right, or not.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Gee Bill, How come the page you linked to called for 24 Lb/Hr Mustang injectors then?

Reply to
jeff

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Ok bill, which is it? 24LB Mustang injectors are not big enough as you previously stated, which was contradicted by Dino's page you pointed to, or that the 24LB blue tops were not used in mid 90s Mustang Cobra 5.0?

the 24LB, by the numbers is about 1% light, but this is typically compensated by running a slightly higher fuel rail pressure. An adjustable regulator will help dial the mix in.

Reply to
jeff

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Thought dragsters were all fuel-injected these days ? Top fuel ones are at any rate ?

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to