Have '89 jeep cherokee engine maybe trade for '92 cherokee engine?

I need a '92 engine for my '92 cherokee. The one I have is '89 engine and does not mach up with the computer system. '89 has a new crank sensor

Reply to
chevycruser_03

The engines are the same basically so you could just swap over the electronic parts to the 89.....

I would just swap over the 'engine' and leave the intake and exhaust headers including the fuel rail, distributor and parts and alternator from the 92 in there.

Mike

chevycruser_03 wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Will Honea

Ahh ok, good to know, thanks. I knew the ports were different but didn't know the headers were. So only the short block will swap then.

Man I got this 258 with a new crank sitting in my garage and an 88 4.0 getting tired..... Stroker, mmmmm......

Mike

Will H>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Will Honea

I am thinking the guts of the 258 into the 4.0 block making it something like a 4.7 'stroker'. :-)

It would be worth it to just swap the short block for the OP then eh. Keep the head and intakes and swap from there down. Even if the head needed a valve job, that isn't much.

Mike

Will H>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Old gray matter getting confused, sorry. Are you talking about your setup or what? I don't remember what the bore on the 258 is. Is the displacement difference only in the longer stroke of the 258 or does it have a different bore than the 4.0?

For the OP, he would want the '92 head/intake/exhaust plus sensors on the 88 block - with the '92 computer.

For your glass-tub and the eng> I am thinking the guts of the 258 into the 4.0 block making it something

Reply to
Will Honea

Sure can't, Bill. I've never laid a 258 head alongside a 4.0 head. You can see the difference between the 88 and the newer HO with the vehicles sitting side-by-side but I've never looked at 258 that way. When I was looking, I had a line on a wrecked 91 XJ with under 45k on the clock but I was too new at this to really realize the power difference and figured it was more work than it was worth to swap stuff around. Looking back...

Will Honea