90 XJ 4.0L rocker trouble

I changed my head gaskest and had the head checked at the shop (OK). I marked everything and placed the rockers in a ziplock per cylinder, and did not disassemble the rocker/bridges/bolts, numbered them and closed them, same with the pushrods. Upon installation the some of the rockers, about 4 of them, are off center to the valve stems. I have pictures of this and dont know how discribe it other then it looks like the bridges are twisted a little. I did not notice this before and have no pics before taking them off. There is no wear on the rockers where the valves contact them now. The only wear on the rockers is right in the center, where you would think that they would sit. I left the cover off and went on to assemble the rest, so I could get some info here. What next, can I buy the bridges or straighten them out, or is this going to cost a lot more than that. I turned the motor by hand and it looks like everything is seated and working -- just off center. I did do as the book says and loosen the rocker bolts a little at a time back and forth over the pair. Any info would be appreciated.....

Dave

Reply to
dcollivier

Do you have any young kids?

Why did you change the head gasket?

Was the engine ever hydrolocked?

Mike

dcollivier wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Ok, glad to hear via email you got the rockers back on, but I have serious questions on the integrity of the frost plugs in the block shown in your photo. The photo you attached shows three of them with bad leaks! And you have an overheating issue....

Here I have put it up over on alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4 so others can look and see if I am seeing what I think I am seeing....

Mike

dcollivier wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Bill, I have come to think about it. Those are the kind of rockers you have to hold in place while tightening them down so they center. They can float sideways under torque if you don't hold them in place.

What gets to me is the photo of the block. He is having overheating and air in the coolant troubles and I see 3 blown frost plugs in that photo!

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain