99 Jeep TJ Steering Problem

Hi all. I have a 99 Jeep TJ, 160,000km. Recently, it has been giving me a bit of trouble when making sharp turns at low speeds. I try not to make sharp turns at high speeds :). Basically, the steering wheel gives pressure to swing back to the opposite side.

I replaced my steering damper, but I still get the problem. The ball joints and other connections seem solid and my wheels seem balanced. I have no problems going in a straight line at high and low speeds. Any ideas of what I should be looking at?

THANKS!

Reply to
Tony D

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

yep, i had to use tapered shims under the spring perches to smooth mine out

3 or 5 degrees i think old john
Reply to
<ajeeperman

Just a thought:

How are your front wheel u-joints?

-John

Reply to
John Sevey

I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary with them. What should I be looking for John?

Reply to
Tony D

I would be jacking up each front corner and cutting the wheels hard to the side and then hand spin the wheel. If the u-joints are going bad, you should see movement or rust or it will bind up.

Mike

Mike Romain

Yeah, like Mike says. :)

When the u-joints seized up on my Cherokee, I didn't have any movement or rust on the joints themselves, but the joints were bound up enough that I couldn't spin the tires without them forcing the steering wheel straight again. (I jacked up the entire front end, having both wheels off the ground at the same time during the test.)

-John

Reply to
John Sevey

Reply to