91 YJ - rolled it... totaled it

Well, thank you guys for the help getting my YJ up and running again. While on a little camping trip in Joshua Tree we had a little accident and rolled the jeep in the sand 270 degrees . A combination of things and poor reaction on my part led to a relatively low speed slide into the burm on the side of the road and rolled us driver side down then ended up on the passenger side. I never wanted to know how well seat belts really do work, but it turns out they are great. The roll tube above my (driver) head compressed in from the windshield and folded into my head and banged it up nicely. My brother in the passenger seat broke a bone in his hand from putting it up after the top popped of and we went wrong side up. The guy in back was completely untouched thanks to seat belt and sleeping bags all around him.

Anyway, with all the lessons learned and silly mistakes over-with, everyone is ok and will recover soon enough. My question for the group here is pretty simple. I am sure there are similar experiances here and I am looking for advice on what to do with the remains of my jeep. I bought it for less than 5k. Insured with lability, theft, and uninsured motorist. I never really expected to be the one to make the stupid mistake and ruin the vehicle. The damage is beyond the worth of the cost of repair vs. price of vehicle, since the insurance will not cover it. I don't know if I should just give it up to the garage that towed it, and junk it, or part it out. The engine does not seem to have suffered any damage, the gas tank and new fuel pump are perfect. The wheels, and 2 of the new 31" wrangler apt tires have only a couple hundred miles on them. The other two were mangled by the recovery truck because dirt was in the ignition and we could not get the key in to get it in neutral. This also did some damage to the suspension since it looks like he dragged from the leaf springs.

I could really use some advice on what would be the best course of action for salvage etc. I really can't keep the wrecked YJ in my drive way to pull parts, and I have never had to deal with anything like this before.

Thank you guys for your help. I look forward to taking the lessons learned here, and Jeeping again soon. Take care, I am going back to bed now.

Reply to
Chris

Hey Chris!

Where are you located at? I might be intersted in buying your YJ.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Carl, The YJ is near Indo (east of palm spring) I am in Ontario. I still have AAA tow options on my AAA plus. I think they will two it up to 100 miles.

Reply to
Chris

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Just sell it ...I'd say if it's mostly just body damage you should be able to get maybe 2-3k for it.

Reply to
griffin

You could donate it to a non-profit group for a tax break. There are many camps in the mountains that can use 4x4, body is not that important in many cases.

Marvin Oliver snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

Marvin Oliver

I don't think they would tow it to my place (I am in Seattle, WA).

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

What's the front grille/core support look like? I'm needing a new one for my '95 due to a chance encounter with a 6 point buck on the way to work the other day.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ Rio Grande ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51

Reply to
Old Crow

You are not the first to roll a jeep. Jeeps are rugged, if you are just using it for offroading or a fun vehicle keep it. You can find tons of parts from old jeeps to replace it. Take a look at some of the other jeeps that people drive on the trail, most have been beaten up badly. It does not take much to fix it up for the trail and replace the parts. A hammer is really cheap! I really doubt that you totaled it you just add some character to it.

Reply to
Snowboardripper

Agreed, although I am not machanically inclined it would take a lot for me to say my jeep was totaled, since insurance isn't going to pay, you are going to have to go by something else to drive for say $5,000.00, why not just put that into repairing your jeep.

Reply to
Greg

Agreed!

He can get a new 'glass body made right here in Ontario for under $2K....

Mike

Greg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I have been looking at differnt parts options online. One thing I need to do is check the the frame did not buckle or deform at all. If it did, then I may not take on the challenge of fixing it. If it did not, then replcing bumpers, body panels, radiator, and roll bars may actually be doable. I have never done any of these things before, but I am up to the challenge and would make the comitment if it looks reasonable. The problem is this... Are there locations, storage garages/yards that allow you to place a vehical like this to work on and repair yourself. I have most the tools needed to do this, just no place to do it. The HOA would not allow the heep in my driveway, and my garage is out of the question for the couple of months it would take to do this work. I have been calling around, but no one seems to have any idea where I should turn. The shops want to park it so you will pay them to do the work. This would just cost to much. I am thinking of putting it in a PublicStorage unit for now just to get it out of the $25 a day tow yard location. This may be a fun challenge of rebuilding the thing. A big commitment, but it may provide a better apprication for the Jeep and the fact that we made it through the accident. Otherwise "1991 Jeep YJ For Sale. Will tow to So. Cal. location at no charge. Has been rolled 270 degrees, and needs body work. It ran great right up until it turned. Looking for best offer" :-)

Damn I miss it already. I have been wanting one for a long time, and not even two months before this. On the way to work this morning I saw so many Jeeps on the road, bummer. :-(

On 2004-11-09 08:20:31 -0800, Mike Romain said:

Reply to
Chris

i know your feeling, mine is not starting for a week now , and i miss it a lot, I was thinking about selling it recently. But NO WAY I WILL KEEP IT, if it can start...

keep it if you can and have time to fix it.

JEEP, THERE'S ONLY ONE

--

-- LE CLONE

279 Notre-Dame Gatineau, Qc J8P 1K6 (819) 643-0511 SANS FRAIS 1 888 643 0511
Reply to
Le CLone

I ran into the same problem when I went to by an '89 YJ for parts awhile back. Best bet is to place an ad in papers in the area asking if anyone would rent out a garage for cheap. You'd be surprised how many elderly people don't mind as long as the noise, especially after 8pm, isn't too crazy. You usually work out some kind of deal where they are allotted their naptime, etc, and you can do whatever you want in their garage in between. My neighbour did this because he has no use for his garage and the neighbour beside him on the other side rents his garage for storage of his lawn tools (in return for maintaining his yard). A guy by my buddy's frat house also rents his garage to home-mechanics for exactly this purpose ...altho he charges a bit more cuz he has all the tools in there already.

Good luck!

Reply to
griffin

Wanna stop in WA and drop it off?

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Do what I did when favorite daughter #1 smashed the TJ. Go buy your wife a Liberty, take it to U-Haul and get a hitch put on it, hook up to a low-boy trailer and haul the carcass off to a barn where you can tear it down. I have found that after getting our TJ fixed the Liberty is useful for getting it unstuck:

course you have to put up with what you have to put up with out ofa wife when she gets you unstuck :-) And yes, that is the same TJ as seen in
it was worth putting back together.

Reply to
John Welch

I have a one piece front flip front on my CJ7. That is all the fenders (in and out), hood, grill, etc., all in one piece.

The stock fenders unbolt easily and fast, so it isn't that long of a job.

The rad needed a free standing frame which I made out of an old bed frame. All the wires, lights etc. just transferred over and things like the solenoid and washer bottles went on the side of the engine and firewall.

I sit on my tire to change my plugs or work on the carb/anything now. It's nice... :-)

That is just an idea for a fast easy front end fix. If you are anywhere near Toronto, you could stop buy and see what it is set up like.

You should post where it is. Maybe a Jeeper from here would give you a place to store/repair it. You don't need a 'garage'. I took a year and a half doing my frame up rebuild and just put my 12'x12' bug tent I got at Canadian tire over it. The Jeep fits inside just fine. Mine has 4 flaps so it is weatherproof. I had to knock the snow off a bunch of times though. ;-)

I have rolled my CJ7 twice. Both times were only a 90 deg side flip, but it sure is wild eh?

I ended up on the second one with my face looking straight down out of the plastic door into open water at the end of a beaver pond 3' below me. The snow had me good enough I didn't turtle right in thankfully. It was a 'nasty' 8 mile walk in 2' of snow with a pulled groin muscle starting out at 9 at night back to the camp though.... The camp was still 20 miles from a phone.....

Mike

Chris wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I remember you posting pics of that a few years ago back when I was on here with my '88 YJ. Scary incident for you I'm sure. I remember the one pic with it on it's side sorta hanging over the edge.

Reply to
griffin

John, Well the good news is, my wife already has a 3.7L Liberty with tow package. I tracked down a low flatbed I can borrow. Now I am trying to figure out where that barn is. I have some leads now, but that is the most difficult part at the moment. I will post picts on the web for you all to look at and give some feed back on. This should be an interesting project.

Reply to
Chris

Carl, I am not ruling that out as an option. Never been up to WA, but have been meaning to. If I do decide to sell it off, I will let you know.

Chris

Reply to
Chris