91 YJ - rolled it... totaled it

Hey John, What were the approximate cost of fixing that TJ? My front end is not nearly that bad, but some of the same parts will need to be replaced, so that could give some indication.

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris

You should post your location, I am sure there are fellow jeepers out there who will help you. Like I said jeeps are strong and people roll them. I was on a trail run 3 weeks ago and 1 guy flipped his rubicon. I just put the winch on the rollbar and it flipped back up right. There was damage but it just took a weekend to take off the flares and hammer them out. I still cannot understand how you totalled it, if you were on the highway going 120 and rolled 3 or 4 times maybe. If your frame is not like Mike's (haha - sorry Mike) it should not bend unless it is rotten. Maybe post some pics and people will be able to offer more advice.

You can buy any part on ebay or ask the group for parts. There are tons of shops that sell used jeep parts.

have jeeps that they strip down and youcan order parts.

Reply to
Snowboardripper

We spent a little over nine grand. It had broken motor mounts which were a bit, and replacing the airbags was about 6 hundred a side, maybe more. Most of the body was replaced and they gave it a factory replacement paint job which really looks nice. The insurance estimate on repairs was over sixteen thousand which meant they called it a total loss, but I always thought that the adjuster was wanting to get a jeep cheep. When they made the offer and we elected to keep the carcass of the wreck the adjuster started to crawfish all over the place about how much that it would cost us, but when we pointed out that we had 25% in writing they guy acted disgusted and let it go. We owned the thing with no note and had a barn where we could keep it till we could regroup. I started disecting it on weekends until I got to the point where I discovered the broken motor mounts. About that time the Taurus that I was driving coughed a transmission furball on the freeway during rush hour. We decided that money spent on a 99 Jeep with < 20K miles was better spent than money poured into a 94 Tarus with >170k miles. Wife insisted that a) the work all be done at the same time, at the same place and b) reloading the Air Bags was a must. The work on it was done by Willy Josey in Crockett Texas. I would be glad to use them again.

You will not have air bags so knock off a couple of grand. Also, you may be happy with Macco or Earl Schibe. I used them on our old Mustang (84 L (*NOT* LX, this it the crappy one with the pinto motor)) when Daughter with the purple hair wanted it turned yellow. They did a nice enough job for a straight color. That would save you a couple more grand.

Hope some of that helps. Feel free to ask more questions.

Reply to
John Welch