92 Cherokee buying advice

Is there anything in particular that should be considered before buying a 92 Cherokee? Is there an easy way to assess the wear on the front wheel drive components? Does the I-6 4.0L engine have any issues above say 120K miles? How many miles ( with good maint.) do these engines have a reputation for lasting? Thanks for your help

Reply to
jb

jb did pass the time by typing:

The vernerable I6 is basically bulletproof. I've been running mine for over 129,000 miles with all but 50,000 of that under a blower. The only issues they have are leaky seals on the rear of the valve cover that do a real good impression of a rear main seal leak. :)

I've had to replace the harmonic balancer, belts, hoses, hardlines, and a few sensors (O2, MAP, CPS) plus the distributor (the bushing wore out) None of that was terribly hard to do.

The exhaust header can crack. Depends on the verson of downpipe they used. The ones with tiny bellows last longer.

The cam is chain driven and 0 interference so even if it drops you won't punch holes in things. Chain is good for well over 200,000 miles.

Check all the CV boots and U joints. It also helps to have a second opinion from a reputable shop. As for wear and tear on the gears/transfer case/ diffs, that's nearly impossible to tell without opening them. But for the most part the outside, (dents, dings, scapes on the frame) will tell you if it was abused.

That and the brakes. If the ones on it are original you are probably real close to needing new pads/shoes. (if there are any left) :)

You can pay to get a report on the vehicle. All you need is the vin and a few bucks.

has a link.

Reply to
DougW

Look under the front carpet for floor pan rust. There are now some replacement floor pans.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Mike buys these at Home Depot, or wherever they sell plywood in Canada. ;^)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I think Mike buys everything at Canadian Tire except beer and doughnuts.

Canada's three biggest retailers are, from what I hear, Canadian Tire, Tim Horton's, and "The Beer Store".

Is this correct Mike?

Reply to
billy ray

LOL!

The Beer Store is high on the list, that's for sure.....

The plywood likely comes from Home Depo though...

Mike

billy ray wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain