93 Grand Cherokee Limited

Hi folks. My husband has the above vehicle and is having some problems. The car has 135,000 miles.

Over the years he's had issues of stalling or not starting. In March we were in Colorado, driving down a gravel road at about 11,000 feet and it just died. After getting it towed into town (which was an adventure in itself) we had the fuel pump replaced. Even after this, we had to hit the tank with a 3 lb rubber hammer to get it to start for a few days. Since then, it has not stalled out while driving but at least once a week it will not start. It cranks well, will sputter for about 10 seconds and then die. This has been replaced: Coil, Fuel Pump and Camshaft Sensor. If he can let the jeep sit for more than 4 hours it will usually start, it's on shorter jaunts that it will not start again. If he calls a mechanic, it will usually start by the time he gets there. He took it to a dealer and had them hook it up to a diagnostic computer....Everything tested out fine. The mechanic told him that he did have a cracked rear manifold which could be making the fule mixture too rich.

any suggestions on what to try next would be appreciated.

sue k

Reply to
sue kelso

sue kelso did pass the time by typing:

Checked the fuel filter or done a leak-down check on the fuel rail. Should be 32psi and stay close for at least

30 min after the engine is shut off.

What your describing could be a bad pressure regulator on the fuel rail, a bad valve in the pump, or a terribly clogged fuel filter.

Have you pulled the distributor and checked if it was full of oil? If it looks like mine did you need to replace it.

Pull the codes and see what it says.
FWIW, the fuel system doesn't set any codes. 12 and 55 are "normal"

As for the cracked manifold.

If you had to hit the tank, something wasn't replaced properly or sealed. Heck, it could even be a bad connection.

I'd replace the fuel filter if it hasn't been replaced before.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

thanks. we'll take your suggestions to the mechanic.

sue k

Reply to
sue kelso

thanks much. he'll check it out.

sue k

Reply to
sue kelso

sue kelso did pass the time by typing:

Ever consider trying it yourself? It isn't rocket science. :) Besides, knowing how to fix minor things can save you on the trail.

The first thing you need is the service manual for your ZJ.

Think of a Jeep as a basic hobby with a near bottomless thirst for time and money. :)

Either way, good luck.

Reply to
DougW

you don't know my husband :-)

thanks for the help

Reply to
sue kelso

It's probably just the IAC (idle air control valve). They are $40 at the local parts store and take about 15 minutes, if that, to install. They are held on to the throttle body by two torx screws.

My son was having similar problems with is '94 Grand. We replaced multiple parts because no code was flashing. Someone told us to replace the IAC and it has been fine ever since.

Does it want to try to start if you hold the gas pedal down? (I know for the most part on injected motors this doesn't do anything but, if the IAC is bad it will allow more air to get into the system at start) and does it act like it is flooded?

The other thing I would do is run some injector cleaner through it. Like someone said, you could have some leaky injectors. Hopefully running the cleaner through can help clean them up, otherwise they are about $9/ea.

--James

Reply to
RocknTJ