PA door laws on a CJ

Hey Everyone, Does anyone know the current law for doors on a CJ in PA? I was just pulled over this afternoon and told as of May 11th every Jeep must have doors, none are exempt. My '82 Scrambler has the factory mirrors, and the cop told me i need doors. He also had a fit that my inspection sticker has faded and i need a new one. Not the front, just the back where the mechanic writes. The wire mesh light pretectors are no good, either. Mostly i'm wondering about the doors.

Anyone? Thanks, Don W

Reply to
Don Wallish

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
twaldron

twaldron did pass the time by typing:

Why not just heavy it up with a pen. Like the cop is going to know who did it anyway. And with the original receipt your covered anyway.

Or move to Oklahoma where they don't have inspection stickers anymore. ..... you should see the rolling garbage out there .....

On second thought, your probably safer where they have inspections. :)

Reply to
DougW

im wondering if they pull over the ups delivery guys too?

Reply to
Waveblast9

Up here in Canada, a vehicle has to have the safety equipment it was sold with.

On some motor bikes, that means no signals and even no brake lights.

On an 82 Jeep, it wasn't sold with doors, they were an option weren't they?

Did the cop check the lumens coming out of your lights with his fancy meter?

I bet you just ran into a cop having a bad day.

Mike

Mike Romain

It's good to know next time I'm in PA (perish the thought) I'll be safe from criminals running around in lumen-challenged CJs without doors! (Wonder how many burglaries occured in PA while he was writing this poor guy up?)

Reply to
Jerry McG

I've been thinking the same things. I did tell him in '82 doors were optional, but he said no Jeep is exempt anymore. I wondered about the candlepower that's visible through the screens. They're not as bad the solid-bar style, or even worse the "blackout" light covers. There's a guy running around here in a lifted Toyota truck. He put the blackout covers over his headlights, but since he couldn't see at night (DUH!!) he got the brightest, most annoying fog lights and put them on top of his already too-high bumper. Great for being blinded in the mirror. The area (Carlisle) is known for the cops being pricks during the big car-show weekends. Same thing in York. It's not good enough we spend a weekend in their hotels at $90 a night and eat in their restaurants six times in a weekend at $15 a person. No, they need to get more $$$ from people visiting the area. No wonder this is the year i stay at a hotel for the Jeep show. And i'm packing two coolers of food and beer.

Just ranting...... Don W

Reply to
Don Wallish

Perhaps you should write a letter to the Chamber of Commerce detailing what you did below. If they are loosing potential business then they would apply pressure to the Mayor or Chief of police. Hit where it hurts and let them know about it.

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

This seems to be the PA code on "vehicles driven on highways", and talks about doors, as well as mirrors....

§ 175.77. Body. (a) Condition of body. All items on the body shall be in safe operating condition as described in § 175.80 (relating to inspection procedure).

(f) Doors. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with doors of a type used as original equipment. The doors shall open and close securely unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or side. Tailgates, except on vehicles where the tailgate gives access to the passenger compartment, may be replaced with wood planking, nets or other material that will prevent loss of load. Tailgates may be removed when optional equipment, for example a truck camper, is added.

But this section hasn't changed "as of may 11th"....

The provisions of this § 175.77 adopted October 29, 1982, effective February 1, 1983, 12 Pa.B. 3862; corrected November 12, 1982, effective February 1, 1983, 12 Pa.B. 3947; readopted December 2, 1988, effective December 3, 1988, 18 Pa.B. 5362; amended November 13, 1998, effective May 13, 1999, 28 Pa.B. 5670. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (221239) to (221240).

And under inspection precedure...

(4) Check the door operation, including the tailgate, and reject if one or more of the following apply:

(i) The doors, except a tailgate on a pick-up truck, are not on the vehicle if originally fitted by the manufacturer.

(ii) The doors, including the tailgate, do not open and close securely, unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or side.

So they have to be there, but don't have to work????

Read/Study it yourself, I give up!

alan

Reply to
Alan

Section (i) says it all.

"if originally fitted by the manufacturer" and they aren't there they fail inspection.

They were not fitted on a stock CJ, they were an option.

Mike

Alan wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain