93 Jeep Cherokee

Am considering a used '93 Jeep Cherokee with 250,000 miles on it looks fairly clean and runs good.. they are asking $1400 - any issues I need ti be aware of? thanks in advance..rg

Reply to
Ralf

If you do your work fine but price is a little high to my thinking for 1/4 of a million miles! If your in a rust country, look under the carpet on the driver's side.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Things to check. rocker panels, ensure they are in tact, if the jeep has running boards the rockers will rust out. check the passenger side floor, with the exhaust and cat sitting under it the passenger floor will rust out first. check the floor in the cargo area, being above the gas tank will cause water and moisture to get trapped. That's pretty much it on the body side of it, mechanical side is pretty straight forward.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Ralf did pass the time by typing:

Bit high on the milage, but if it's been kept in good shape and most importanly, had the oil changed regularly, it should be fine. One thing though, 200,000 miles is roughly the time you should replace the timing chain on the I-6 engine.

I'd also be checking under the carpet and around the wheel wells, door corners, etc. for rust.

Reply to
DougW

it's the first time i ear about replacing the timing chain, i have close to

278,000 Km should i start to think about replacing it? i was sure it was getting noisy before it need replacement. it a 600-700 $ job here at the stealer i think.... and i would not ask a corner garage mechanic to do it, due to bad experience.....

"DougW" a écrit dans le message de news: ST4vd.111033$tU4.4583@okepread06...

Reply to
Patrick

Patrick did pass the time by typing:

Most vehicles never make it that far, so it's not listed as a maintenance item.

278,000Km == 172,000 Miles

It all depends on how the engine has been maintained and treated. If the oil was changed every 3000-5000 miles you probably have 100,000 more miles in it. If it was abused or overrevved/overheated, then less.

The timing chain will make a racket, but don't ignore it for long. The I6 is an interference engine. i.e. the pistons can hit the valves if the chain breaks. That as they say, is "real ugly".

Cost should run about $185 or so, it's not a difficult job but does take some time. The chain is only $15, crankshaft gear $5.99 Other parts and seals are also fairly inexpensive.

You would probably be wise to replace the harmonic balancer at that point since it has to come off to do the chain. And it also tends to wear out. You will know it is wearing when the belt starts squealing on humid days, gets worn on the edges, or jumps grooves.

Reply to
DougW

Ours has over 300K km on it and I am not worried about the chain. Maybe it will be time when it turns 500K.

Mike

Patrick wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Wow, I have 368,873 km's on my XJ, I got with 170,000 plus on it and unless the timing chain was done before I got it, it's never been done. I change the oil about every 5000 km or close to it.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Snow did pass the time by typing:

I'm only going off the "recommended" service life. Not knowing the engines condition. With routine oil changes the chain could well last much longer than 200,000 Miles.

Heck, I put over 200,000 Miles on my C-10 rear diff without one fluid change. o_O

Reply to
DougW

Is that all your milage Mike?

Reply to
SteveBrady

No, we got it around 250K or so. It has been nice to us. We have off roaded it on some pretty insane trails and it still hangs in there. Minus a few pieces like the rear bumper end and some trim bits trees took out, but.... ;-)

The slave is going, so I am going to have to pull the thing apart soon.... Oh well, it likely is in need of it's first clutch change too.... (only one previous owner and I have the history)

I have also put about 40K miles on my CJ7.

We have decided we like Jeeps and will likely stick with them. Well, we will never sell our CJ7, that's for sure, we might upgrade to a newer Cherokee some day.

Mike

SteveBrady wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Didn't you say the Duct tape finally gave out on your rear bumper?

I was going to work the other day (south from Barrie on the 400) and some guy in his Ford had obviously been bombin around cuz he was covered in mud. I was jealous! BUT, the guy must've been going pretty hard and careless, cuz his tow hitch assembley had been partially ripped off. The whole left side had been sheared at the bolt holes and from the look of it, there wasn't much more than half holding on the right side.

He blew past me....so hopefully someone stopped him for that thing fell off and made like one of them 'dam-buster' bombs.

Reply to
SteveBrady

LOL!

No, it 'only looked like a little' puddle kinda trip in a whole bunch of shallow ones at midnight in the middle of nowhere. Sicker was a 3' deep washout.... The drop took off the bumper end. Good thing Snowboardripper was right behind me with his TJ and winch, there was no going forward or around me on that trail into the camp. We had to go back around another way.

Got photos....

Mike

SteveBrady wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Really? Dang I thought that timing chain was a lifer. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Kevin in San Diego did pass the time by typing:

It probably is. But if the original owner didn't change the oil regularly or otherwise abused the engine then it won't last that long. The only timeing sets I know that last forever are timing gears like they make for the old

305 and 350 small block chevys.
Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

Didn't think the I6 was a non-interference engine. :/ If it is then that's one less thing to worry about.

Reply to
DougW

Studebaker V8's use timing gears and they virtually never wear out.

Jeff DeWitt

DougW wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt