93 ZJ V8 - Rear Lamp failure

Hi Folks,

It was my turn to fix the "rear lamp failure". I googled about the problem. I followed the direction from DougW's website which is very useful as usual.

My ZJ is a late 93 Canadian V8 version. In this case, it was not the connector under the rear seat nor the connector behind the panel of the passenger side C pillar that caused the problem. It was a corrupted cable in the rear lamps enclosure which holds the side marker, brake and back up light. The blue cable which tee out to the side marker and the second filament of the brake light was corrupted right at the tee point. The cable was sealed by electric tape which was attacked by moisture over times.

The wiring diagram in the Hayes manual helps. It took me about 2 hours to narrow down the problem. After I re-soldered the cable and re-tape the cable, the symptom is gone. :)

The above is my 2 cents.

Paul

93 ZJ V8 and I6

P.S. I woould like to express my thank to DougW about the cruise cable problem. The local Jeep dealer asked ~US$48 for the cable. I end up using 3 cable ties to fix the problem.

Reply to
Bogey Buster

Bogey Buster did pass the time by typing:

Thanks for letting us know.

Tracking down those "almost lamp failures" are a pain, eh.

Reply to
DougW