94 Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8. .. Intermittant stalling

Was just given a 1994 Grank Cherokee. V8 5.2 engine.

Every once in a while it sputters out and stalls. Wont start up right away when it happens, but will eventually fire back up like nothing happened. This has happened while driving, not just stalling out a a full stop. The engine is running great and has no power problems.

Based on daily driving, I'd say it pulls this trick about once every 10-15 days.

Any Advice what I should look for first? Sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks Mike

Reply to
mpdsville1

I would go and open the gas cap right after it dies to see it if then will start. If so, I would suspect a dirty air filter on the gas tank vent. I don't know if the GC's can be changed or if they sucker you for a whole canister for the $2.00 filter.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Was just given a 1994 Grank Cherokee. V8 5.2 engine.
Reply to
Mike Romain

I had the same problem with my 1995 Jeep Wrangler. It would run great and then stall while driving. The check engine light would not come on and it would start in a few minutes like there was nothing wrong. After 3 weeks at the Jeep service center and over 70 miles of test driving by the mechanic they found the Crank Position Senor was causing the problem. It sends a signal to the computer and tells it when to fire the plugs. When it stops sending signals the engine stops. Since it is an interment problem when you re-start the engine it's sending the signal again and the engine runs fine. After replacing this sensor I have had no additional problems.

Reply to
dansexton

That CPS sensor has got to be close to the #1 stall/nostart issue. Wierd thing is, it seldom sets the DTC code for the sensor.

When mine started acting up it would simply up and die when I was comning to a stop or moving slow. Going fast was no problem but lower revs made the Jeep feel like it had square wheels.

Reply to
DougW

The CPS issue is a bad connection one. They are computer signal plugs that are 'very' sensitive to the slightest corrosion. If you just got a replacement, expect another failure soon. The plug and socket for the CPS need to be cleaned. You only cleaned half of it with the new part. Electronic contact cleaner is the best for this. I then use and recommend some dielectric grease on the plug seal skirts. The TPS also has this connection issue.

'I' haven't heard of any 5.2L engines like the OP has having this CPS issue, only the 4.0 engines....

Mike

Mike Romain