94 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stalling

When driving with the radio and AC on, my car stalls. There is no warning lights on the dash. My steering column stiffens to tell me my engine has turned off. It usually happens when the engine is hot after I have been driving a while. Any suggestions, what is wrong?

Reply to
Elise

Hi Elise

Can be a number of things. If your tune-up is good, try looking into the idling.

Good Luck

Dan

Reply to
Black Bomb

Does this only happen when you are idling,, like at a stop light or stopped in traffic?

If so assuming the rest is in good shape , I would suspect the fast idle motor... not kicking up the idle when the a/c compressor and fan kick on..... those two use a lot of horsepower and can slow the engine enough to stall if it isn't working.

Reply to
Ted

However,, rereading your post.... (again and ... again) you say no lights !!! Not even an oil pressure light? Will the engine restart immediately? Hmmm,, Stern may have some suggestions,, but..as long as you can reproduce it easily and reliably a good shop should be able to find the problem.

Reply to
Ted
  1. One time I was in traffic
  2. Another time I was driving down my street towards my house and it just stalled before I could turn into my driveway.
  3. Still another time I was driving on the highway about 50mph and it died.

Would this still indicate my idle needs to be checked?

Reply to
Elise
  1. One time I was in traffic
  2. Another time I was driving down my street towards my house and it just stalled before I could turn into my driveway.
  3. Still another time I was driving on the highway about 50mph and it died.

Would this still indicate my idle needs to be checked?

Reply to
Elise

In that case there can be many causes. The only thing that comes to my mind at this moment would be a faulty fuel pump, or defective connection to the fuel pump.

Good Luck

Dan

Reply to
Black Bomb