94 Wrangler windshield hinges

How do I get at the nuts on the Driver's side of the windshild hinges? I am installing mirror relocation brackets that use the same bolt holes. I got the passenger side ones on by reaching up in behind the dashboard, but I can't see the ones for the other side. Do I have to take the dashboard off and what does this involve. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
James Ackerman

You either need to pull the dash or if you are lucky 'maybe' you can snake a long open/boxed end wrench or power bar and socket up there to hold them. I have long arms and I couldn't get to that side on a YJ because the e-brake was in the way.

Removing the dash is a big job. The windshield has to fold down to get the top bolts along the dash. The roll bar ends have security torx bolts in them and have to come off. That can be a 'fun' job in itself.

I would be really tempted to go with CJ mirrors I can install from the outside or rather than having to change over the stock mirrors every time I wanted to take the doors off, (YJ mirrors don't work relocated with doors on) I would go with a motorcycle mirror stuck in the hinge hole. An aftermarket cheap Harley mirror fits right in.

Mike

James Ackerman wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Too bad you already have the relocation brackets. The better thing to do is just get a set of mirrors for an '87 YJ. You'd have to drill and tap holes into the hinges, but it's a much better solution. I had a set of those relocation brackets and ended up getting rid of them. With them, the mirrors are useless when the doors are on. The passenger mirror is completely obstructed by the door. '87 mirrors are so much better that I even put a set on my CJ.

Reply to
Clap Trap

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I bought mine from either Quadratec or 4wd hardware, I don't recall which. Here's a link to the ones on Quadratec's site:

Not a problem, I have thrown more money away on a Saturday night than that.

Reply to
Clap Trap