Hidden door hinges

I'd like to know the best way to "hide" the door hinges; the reason being is that I want the sides of my Beetle to be as smooth as silk (trim already removed and holes filled, door handles removed).

I know that it would involve heavy-duty hinges, like on street rods and such. I just want to know if anyone has done this type of thing to their car and does anything need to be done to the door or door frame itself, due to the new angle of the hinges.

Let me thank you all in advance.

Reply to
Jeff Kleier

If you want the door to open the normal way (ie, you don't want suicide doors), then it is not possible to do it with regular hinges. The axis of rotation of the door, should remain the same as stock, that is outside of the door, otherwise the door will hit on the front pillar. You need some king of telescopic mechanism that will move the door away from the front pillar as it opens. Sounds too difficult, if even possible.

Bill, '67 Bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Something like those on kitchen cupboards ?

Reply to
Juper Wort

Yeah, something like that. Or like the kitchen oven... If a similar mechanism is used on another car, it might do the job.

Bill, '67 Bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Hi

My 64 bus has the hinges on the outside. My 68 bus has hidden hinges(stock).

Maybe these would/could fit the bug ?

Just an idea.

Rich

Bill Spiliot> Yeah, something like that. Or like the kitchen oven... If a similar

Reply to
tricky

most any aftermarket "hidden hinge" kits will open out and away...it is not a necessity to suicide the doors to use them...

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

Out here they've been using old Volvo Duett & PV door hinges.

(from the 60's I believe)

Jan

Bill Spiliot>

Reply to