95 GC V8 Oil Pan Removal Clearance

Will be lowering my oil pan tonight for the second time in 2 days. Just changed the rear main seal, put everything back together only to discover a horrible clacking noise on startup. I think it was either the bell housing cover contacting bolt heads on flywheel or oil pickup tube hitting rod/engine gear.

I have exaust down, starter removed, oil filter removed suspension hanging etc. but would still like another 2" of clearance. I don't want to fight removing/installing the pan and risk knocking the oil pickup tube out of position. This time I want to create space by lowering the axle some. So far I supported the axle and dico'd the lower shocks and loosend the sway bar link. Should I also disco the lower suspension arm? Would lifting engine be better?

Any comments/tips/advice would be appreciated.

Reply to
jfrey2a

Put a jack on each side of the body up front, the body will go up and the suspension will stay down giving you the clearance you need.

Reply to
Coasty

Thx Coasty. I got it out last night. Disconnecting the lower shock mounts and fully loosening the sway bar links on BOTH sides- did the trick by a hair. I don't understand why the Haynes or the Factory service manuals don't mention that. I did manage to get it out the first time w/o doing above but it took 2 hours of twisting, banging, scratching and tugging on transmission lines to do so. The jeep does have "up country suspension" package- maybe that has something to do with it.

Reply to
jfrey2a

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III