Cracked Oil Pan on e30

Hi, I just recently cracked the oil pan on my e30 325i and replacement seems pretty straight forward but on the back of the pan there are 2 bolts that I cannot access due to a cover. Im thinking its a clutch cover or something. Anyways, I took all of the bolts that I could see on the cover off, including some torx head ones which required the purchase of some new sockets, and the thing still wont come off. I just need to get at the two back bolts. Can anyone give me some insight on this?

Reply to
grammar1

  1. Disconnect the oil level sensor harness connector, located at the base of the alternator.
  2. Remove the two bolts that secure the steering rack to the subframe.
  3. Remove the four hex head bolts and four torx head bolts that secure the bellhousing reinforcement plate. Remove the plate.
  4. Remove the oil pan retaining bolts and lower the oil pan. Remove the three oil pump mounting bolts and lower the oil pump into the pan. Withdraw the oil pan with the oil pump.

I believe you have missed out step # 4. Many engines require that the engine backplate, or a part of it, be removed in order to reveal the rearmost oil pan bolts.

HTH.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Thanks, I removed the 4 torx bolts but I think after reading what you wrote that I may have missed a couple of hex bolts somewhere. Im surprised bentley doesnt mention that to get that cover off, it requires removing the stablilizer arm lol. Ill get under there a little later and see if I can figure it out, maybe its just being stubborn and I need to crank on it a little.

Reply to
grammar1

It *does* tell you, that's what step 4 is. You have to physically remove the "bellhousing reinforcement plate."

Reply to
Dean Dark

No, im not sure on those specs. Ive always, as a general rule with gaskets just tighten using proper opposing boltup technique until the gasket just starts to stick out a little. This job has proven to be more of a pain in the ass than i originally anticipated. I now realize that i am going to have to jack up the motor and disconnect the motor mounts then secure the motor on blocks in order for the pan to clear on removal.

If you have those specs though, that would be awesome, always better to do it properly

Reply to
grammar1

Reply to
Dean Dark

I just wanted to thank you guys for all your help, I successfully finished the oil pan job this weekend. Alot of work, but I learned alot as well. Found a few other problems while I was down there though lol. Simple fixes, its all good.

Thanks

Reply to
grammar1