95 wrangler

with gas prices so high, I only get about 15 mpg, anyone know what I can do to get more mpg? great jeep only 25,000 miles all original equipment. I'm new here so please excuse the question if you have answered it already. just give me the summary of what I need to do, thanks, Chad

Reply to
MELINDA JONES

Nick N

I'd give it a tune up.

My '95 YJ 4 cyl, 5sp, soft top gets almost 22...I drive it 133 miles a day back and forth to work.

My wife's '94 YJ, 6 cyl, 5sp, soft top gets almost the same mileage. She puts almost 90 miles a day on hers.

My son has a '95 YJ 4cyl, auto, soft top and he says his mileage is much worse than this, but he can't give me an exact figure. Maybe it has something to do with the automatic tranny.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ Rio Grande ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51

Reply to
Old Crow

ok thanks, any modifications anyone would recommend on a 95 wrangler to get more mpg?

Reply to
MELINDA JONES

Wear light shoes or sandals instead of boots....

Mike

Mike Romain

Seriously, there are none. Maybe you could fashion a rocket type nose cone out of some kinda hightech see through polymer and mount it over the windshield-grill....I've had a few windy days here where a sail would have helped.... Again, seriously... don't try any high tech or even low tech gadgets that 'claim' to improve milage and performance. 99% of them are just made to take your money. I don't even know if the other 1% exist... Nick

Reply to
Nick N

Reply to
Redge Egder

Reply to
Richard Harris

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Go slower.

Your YJ has all of the aerodynamics of a brick on a rollerskate. The harder you mash the pedals, the more gas it will suck up.

Reply to
CRWLR

thanks, I plan to keep it a long time, how much would the modification cost, aproximately?

Reply to
MELINDA JONES

In news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3112.bay.webtv.net, MELINDA JONES from was injured because:

| with gas prices so high, I only get about 15 mpg, anyone know | what I can do to get more mpg? great jeep only 25,000 miles | all original equipment. I'm new here so please excuse the | question if you have answered it already. just give me the | summary of what I need to do, thanks, Chad

Chad, why are you posting as "Melinda Jones?"

Reply to
Joseph P

It is unlikely you will find a modification that will save you money. You might spend $1500 getting a great exhaust system, header--->cat--->muffler (parts, labor ($77/hour), and tax). If it gave you 1mpg better.... and you drove 12,000 miles a year. If you have 15mpg you will use 800 gallons a year, if you have 16mpg a year, you will use 750 gallons a year. 50 gallons X $2.09 = $104.50 savings in fuel a year. (this is assuming you pay $2.09 a gallon) So, after 15 years you will have saved a few bucks on gas.

Reply to
Mark12211

Mark12211 did pass the time by typing:

Yep. The best way to save gas is to stay off the skinny pedal and anticipate lights. Sadly this is also the way to irritate most of the loonie drivers out there by not drag racing between lights. :/ Just by watching my driving style I found it was possible to eek out another 2mpg.

I just roll trips together and cut out driving like lunch, gonna start packing a sack lunch for work and shave off 10 miles a day.

10mi * 260days = 2600miles / 16mpg * 2$/g = 325$ Not couting how much I'll save by not spending about 8-10$ on lunch or the pounds I could drop by eating better and taking a walk at lunch time. :)

Don't overlook the repairs, just running a few pounds low on the tires will cost. An old O2 sensor can cause your vehicle to run rich, and a clogged air filter will also make milage suffer.

Reply to
DougW