96 Cherokee Hi Oil Pressure

I could use some help with this... Took a 3 hr trip in my 96 4.0HO and after about 1.5 hrs (freeway) the oil pressure started fluctuating between

60-75, when it normally stays about 42 when at anything but idle. I was turning about 2300-2500RPM. Backed off to 1900RPM, pressure went down, but continued to fluctuate if I revved higher. This lasted for about 10 minutes then returned to normal. On the trip home same thing happened but this time it lasted about 30 minutes. I'm thinking maybe some gunk got in the oil filter (change every 4K miles, synthetic oil, Jeep has 113K on it now). So tomorrow I'm changing filter and oil. Any other ideas? Thanks for your help!

--Rocky

Reply to
Rocky LaRochelle

Clean the connector at the sensor before you start spending money for parts. Electronics contact cleaner works best but you can use WD40 in a pinch if none is available and plug it in and out a couple times.

Good choice to use the synthetics. I need to do my WJ but I have been waiting for a day when the temp is above freezing.

Reply to
billy ray

I would be cleaning the connection on the oil pressure sender and wire.

Mike

Mike Romain