oil pressure question on 1995 Golf

I have a 1995 VW Golf III 2.0 liter 4 cylinder engine with about 167,000 miles on it. recently I have been getting a low oil pressure warning after driving for a while. If my trip is less then 30 minutes there is no problem but if I driver longer then that I get the pressure warning. My oil filter is on tight, but not too tight, and I have enough oil in the engine. It happens with the AC on or off, and all other fluids are filled to there requisite level. Where else should I look to solve the problem? A friend said it might be a gasket? Would this be the gasket on the oil pan? Any info would be appreciated! Thank you.

Reply to
Long Boarders Rule!

On a car with 167,000 miles I would look first for a worn oil pump or main bearings. You may want to verify that it is not just a sensor error. Try to get a mechanical gauge measurement.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

When or how long ago was your last oil change? What brand oil filter and brand & weight of oil are you using? Sometimes a simple oil change with good filter and oil helps! ;-)

Have you had any problems like overheating? I have seen some plastic pieces from the oil pump's WINDAGE TRAY/PAN (Not sure what it its called) deteriorate and block the oil pump strainer. Clean out those pieces and all is well with the oil pressure. I think damage to the oil pan occurs first, but it may not be a lot of damage and might be caused by heat. Just some thoughts. later, dave

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Does it only come on at idle? What weight oil and what is the climate there?

I had a car that started smoking slightly at similar miles. Switched to next heavier oil and it ran fine until someone wrecked it at 240k miles.

Reply to
Jay Mott

Hey i had a 94 with 230000 on it when i bought it they changed the oil and put 5w30 not nowing that vw's take 15w40 even the gas engines and that made the oil light come on and about 40000 later it started coming on again and i did some research and found out that they had weak oil pumps, put one on and its still going. i'm not saying thats this is your problem but its possible

Reply to
catman

You need an oil pressure test first. If not everything is a guess. And, no gaskets don't cause your issue.

Reply to
Woodchuck

The oil weight is 10w30 and the warning comes on while driving at any RPM. The climate is hot and humid 85 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit and humid. (Greenville, South Carolina)

Reply to
Long Boarders Rule!

The oil weight is 10w30. The last oil change was about 1500 miles ago. There have been no problems with overheating.

Reply to
Long Boarders Rule!

Can I do a oil pressure test myself or would it be just as easy to have my mechanic do it?

Reply to
Long Boarders Rule!

I tend to believe that wrong oil weight would be the main cause. Also combined with a cheap oil filter, I would use genuine VW filter for that or at a minimum Bosch. Something about the amount of pleats and paper used to make them. I read about this in the manual of my A2 that this will send the low oil pressure light (indication) When your tach reaches 2200 rpm and holding steady cruising speed. Try that and see if it comes on ...It will be the easiest (cheapest way to determine) That aside then start leading toward oil pressure sensor failure or oil pump (least likely but possible).

Good luck Tristen

Reply to
Tristen S

All you need is a accurate oil pressure gauge and Bentley manual. Better to just pay your mechanic who already has the tools. Tip: make sure the engine has run for about 45 minutes before seeing what the pressure is. That way the oil is good and hot and will produce accurate data.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Is 10w30 the right weight for that car/engine? I run 5w50 full synthetic in my 85 GTI with about 200K miles. I had this issue about 50K miles ago so I picked up a new High Volume Oil pump, and of course a new oil pan gasket. Not a hint of trouble since then. The job takes 30 minutes tops if you do it yourself.

Reply to
Biz