96 intrepid oil pressure light

Hello! The oil light on my 96 intrepid will occasionally come on briefly when at idle. I noticed that the sender (beside the oil filter) was leaking, so I replaced it several days ago. I cleaned the connector with some wd-40 before connecting it. However, my wife said that the light 'flickered' again yesterday when she came to a stop in our driveway. I guess the next step is to get the pressure checked with a gauge at a shop. Has anyone had this problem before? Is there something else I can check? This is a 3.5L engine, so I think the pump is rather hard to get to, behind the cover over the timing belt, so I'm not to happy about trying to fix it myself. Any help would be appreciated!

Reply to
Cal

I believe there is a TSB on that problem. Also, I saw it discussed a lot on

forums - they have Gen I as well as Gen II forums - and a fantastic search engine.

Hope you find the answer.

Bill Putney

thanks for the reply! I found a lot of useful info on the dodgeintrepid.net forum you listed. I think I will get a pressure gauge, and test it myself just for peace of mind. Also, I replaced the sending unit with an aftermarket one from a popular chain parts store, so I will probably replace the new one with a genuine chrysler replacement part. (I had a local mechanic tell me that the new 'aftermarket' part was probably not a good idea.) thanks again!

cal

Reply to
Cal