Ford Connect van oil pressure??

When starting from cold the oil pressure light takes a few seconds (more than it should?) to go out. Until it does go out (indicating that the oil pressure is OK) the engine sounds like a bag of nails. The engine will then be OK all day long until the following morning. Done the usual of change the oil and filter, but no difference. Oil pressure relive valve seems OK (piston slides OK, spring is not broken) even fitted a pressure gauge to make sure there is pressure.

Needless to say I'm worried about damage to the engine on cold start-ups.

Any of you wonderful mechanics got any ideas as to what it might be? This problem did start after a relative long trip.

Mileage 72,000

2004 vintage

All help appreciated

Reply to
Alistair Ross

Oil draining back into the sump overnight because the filter doesn't have a one way valve in it is a possible suspect. I suggest fitting a genuine Ford filter and see if that cures it. If not then it might simply be the engine is getting shagged but I wouldn't expect the oil pressure to be normal after it's warmed up if that were the case. You don't say what the pressure gauge actually reads.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Thanks Dave

The pressure reads 1 bar (15psi) at tick-over and 2.5 bar at 2,500 rpm....oil filter is the Ford one

ttfn.....

Reply to
Alistair Ross

Anyone know if it has hydraulic lifters?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

autodata gives a cold clearance so presumably not.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I reckon the noise could be the cam chain tensioner (having had one in today that made a fairly frightening rattle immediately after its oil change)

Reply to
Mrcheerful