96 XJ 4.0 auto transmission trouble

Took my Cherokee to the outer banks to do some fishing and drove it in the sand until noticing it was overheating. Immediately stopped and let it cool down and realized I was losing coolant. Replaced the water pump and thermostat after carefully driving it home but now the transmission shifts from first to overdrive if I have it in D, or first to third if in 3. Fluid level is normal, and other than the shifting problem it runs fine. has anybody seen this problem and is there a fix (other than replacing the transmission)? thanks, JC

Reply to
JC

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

The TPS on the throttle body controls shift points. When they get contaminated with stuff like salt water or coolant, they can act strange. A good spray clean with contact cleaner or WD40 on the TPS connection might be needed.

Mike

Mike Romain