Transmission on 96 dodge van

I've been having some issues with the automatic transmission on my 96 Dodge van recently. It has a V8 motor with a 3 speed automatic transmission and AC.

The transmission seems to slip when going into the top gear, The slip seems to start around 28-30 mph and it doesn't fully engage until around 38-40 mph, lifting my foot from the gas seems to help the shift. It has also started to slip a little when going from 1st to second gear and will occasionally 'clunk' into reverse when I shift.

I've checked the tranny fluid and it seems to be at or near the correct level.

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be?

Best regards.

Bed

Reply to
Blue_Eyed_Devil

Try adjusting the front band. If that doesn't do it (and I'm guessing it won't), your rear clutch pack is worn. The clunk in reverse is "normal", depending on severity, and could be from a number of things in the driveline. More details on the noise would help find the source.

Reply to
Max Dodge

The clunk doesn't happen every time I shift into reverse. Normally it goes into reverse smoothly. Not much actual noise is created. By the 'clunk', I mean it goes into reverse in a rough or abrupt jerking manner.

If adjusting the front band doesn't help, does the rear clutch pack problem mean the transmission needs to be rebuilt or replaced?

Thank you for your advice.

Bed

Reply to
Blue_Eyed_Devil

.

Of course you meant to say front clutch pack.

Reply to
John Kunkel

Since the OP notes that its starting to slip on the 1-2 shift as well, I meant to say rear clutch pack.

The front clutch pack would have nothing to do with the 1-2 shift slipping.

Further, if the front pack were slipping, he'd have said something about reverse slipping, not "clunking".

Reply to
Max Dodge

This could be a matter of driveline "slack", or a worn u-joint. Check the driveshaft and the rear for play, and you'll likely find your clunk.

Yes. When you do the band adjustment, you'll likely find debris in the pan that will indicate wear of the clutches.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Did it occur to you that there could be multiple problems? A loose front band in conjunction with a faulty front clutch would explain the symptoms as would a clogged filter. A slipping rear clutch would affect 1st gear also.

A front clutch that slips at normal forward line pressure will often engage in Reverse because the line pressure increases by a factor of three or more in Reverse. (Of course you already knew that) This could also explain the "clunk", a leaking clutch would tend to apply suddenly rather than smoothly.

I would recommend the OP remove the pan, check the filter and adjust both bands.

Reply to
John Kunkel

Yes, it had.

True.

Yup. But gear reduction make it such that the slipping will occur in situations with less mechanical advantage.... say 2nd or 3rd range.

But in this case, reverse was not slipping, thus indicating that the 2-3 shift problem was either delayed band release or rear clutch slipping. It could be both, but it won't be the front clutch, because its doing fine in the reverse range.

It could be a clogged filter, but.... in a 3spd AT, if the filter is clogged, something had to clog it.... like clutch facing material.

I'll stand by my long distance diagnosis until further facts about the trans in question come in. Perhaps instead of attacking me, you should attempt to help someone.

Reply to
Max Dodge

If the rear clutch was slipping it would become apparent as road speed increased but the OP only mentioned slippage at the shift, not after the shift was completed.

You chose to ignore my observation that greatly increased line pressure in Reverse could explain why the clutch would slip at engagement with 60 psi in a forward mode and engage firmly at a line pressure of 200 psi plus in Reverse. Also, load and road speed in Reverse is generally much lower than in the forward gears.

Never said otherwise. The clogged filter would limit volume and pressure thus

Attacking you? Disagreement is an "attack"? I'm merely offering alternatives to your diagnosis; when I "attack" you, you'll know it. I'm surprised you haven't interjected your "reset theory" wherein the trans drops out of gear during upshifts. It would fit this situation perfectly.

Reply to
John Kunkel

Thanks to both of you for your advice. My initial thought is to take it to a garage for 'Transmission service' where they clean the filter, adjust the bands and replace the fluid. This would be a fairly inexpensive item of around 40-50$. If that did not help or only helped a little then I would take it to the local transmission shop.

I do have another question: Most of my driving is short trips of a few miles or less on surface streets at 30 mph or less. Maybe 5% of my driving is on the highway. Would these frequent short trips have a deleterious effect on my transmission?

One more question: What cost range would rebuilding the transmission fall into?

Best regards,

Bed

Reply to
Blue_Eyed_Devil

They should have little effect on the transmission.

Depending on a number of variables, $700-2000, but thats a guess based on local (to me) costs.

Reply to
Max Dodge

I would say that the more your transmission shifts, the sooner parts will wear out. So yes, things are more likely to go wrong sooner if you do a lot of short trips with stopping and starting (hence, more gear shifting) than if you drive mostly at highway speeds where the transmission does significantly less shifting. Also, the harder you accelerate, the worse it is on your drivetrain in general (not what you asked, but possibly helpful anyway).

Reply to
9DodgeFan