'96 XJ 4.0 Fan Clutch

I need to replace the fan clutch on my '96 Cherokee I6 4.0. I went over to Autozone and picked one up for $38. Unfortuantly it's a 1/4" too long to fit between the radiator and mounting studs. Someone said that Car Quest sells one that fits, but they turned out to carry the same one as Autozone just in a different box (personally I prefered Autozone's yellow over Carquest's gray) and for $20 more. According to the guy at Carquest these are all made by a company called Hayward(?) I decided to give in and go to the dealer, they wanted $120 for an OEM, I just laughed at the guy; $120???

Two questions:

Where can I get an aftermarket that's the same size as the oem?

On the aftermarket that's a 1/4" too long, there are four 1/2" "nubbits" (protrutions) sticking out of the face, around the circumfrence. Can I grind/turn these down a bit, or will this effect some balance/thermal characteristic which is just right?

Thanks,

Matt

BTW: I don't have the OEM Radiator or Mounting Studs. This could be the scource of my troubles, but I can still get the shorter OEM clutch in and out fine.

Reply to
mpower

I had to get an OEM one for mine.... :-(

Mike

mpower wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Post this question on

oem forum, someone there will post the part number, Car quest carries 3 different ones for jeeps, one is correct but I can't remember which one.

Mike Romain wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca:

Reply to
Rich Pierson

Reply to