97 Grand Cherokee Air Cond. Problem

Seems like every spring I have to recharge the air condt system. I'm wondering if a can of the dye would help in spotting the leak. The evaporator was replaced by Jeep two years ago. Is a leak usuall du to bad O rings in the compressor?

Reply to
<chuckb43

philthy

That's where they finally found it in ours. Took an A/C specialty shop to find the problem. The dealer couldn't. It wasn't an obvious leak. Replaced all the o-rings and haven't had a problem since.

Reply to
Dick

I'll second that bad O-rings. Many of these guys seems to have a "one leak at a time" mentality. All the O-rings couldn't possibly go bad at once, being the exact same age and all. They fix the first leak they find, and call it good.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Me Three. God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0 mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

me four ... the ZJ used 'spring-lock' connectors like most Fords do, easy assembly in the factory, good initial quality but long term reliability isn't very good. replace ''em all.

the ZJ is a CCOT system, if it runs long at low charge you can burn up your compressor clutch (from rapid cycling) or fail the shaft seal because with low refrigerant flow things run much hotter than normal and the oil circulation is poor.

if after replacing the o-rings you still run low next season then its compressor time.

reboot

Reply to
reboot