97 jeep GC abs failure

My abs light recently came on and stays on. I tried everything I could do without the use of a scantool, I cleaned all connections and all the wheel sensors, checked fuses. No change. So i took it to a trusted local garage, and he told me that the abs control module is bad. I tried to remove it, thought I could take a look at solder points and maybe find the problem, but I couldn't get it off the the pump assembly. I tried removing it by reaching underneath and removing the 4 screws that attach it to the pump, but there wasn't enough clearance to remove it, not enough space between the pump and the wheel well. So, my question is, if I remove the bolts on the pump bracket, will there be enough play in the brake lines to lift it high enough and get the board off?? I don't want to remove the pump, because if i read the manual right, it takes a scantool to properly bleed the lines. My technician tells me to do without it, I still have brakes, just no abs. New part is $900, but I found that o'reilly has a reman for about $100, and I think it is worth that. Any suggestions? Thanks, cal

Reply to
cal

Must be different than my 93, but on that you also need to break open and clean the connectors shell. That's where road debris builds up and causes problems.

You should get a scantool. They help quite a bit on the newer Jeeps.

How much will your mechanic charge to do the job? Sometimes that's the less frustrating road.

Reply to
DougW

Thanks Doug, I appreciate your reply! I've looked closer at the reman offered by autozone and o'reilly, and they don't look like the controller on my jeep. So, not going to order one right now. Might look in to the used market. But before I do, i guess i'll go out and remove the bracket bolts from the pump, and just see how much play I have then. Don't want to create any leaks though. My mechanic seemed like he didn't think it was worth the effort, saying his experience with repairing these has been that used controllers aren't reliable, and that he didn't know of a reman option. After looking at the diagrams of the reman parts that don't look like mine, looks like he was right. The temporary 'fix' is going to be a piece of black tape over the abs light. I can't stand having warning lights glowing on my dash! Thanks for your help. cal

Reply to
cal