'97 TJ Door Removal & Dead Battery

I removed the doors (full steel) from my 1997 TJ Sport the other day. I realized once the doors were off that the interior lights on my sound bar and hard top remained ON, because of the buttons in the door casings being left in the "open" position. I ended up removing the bulb from the sound bar light, and disconnecting the wiring harness to the hard top to avoid a dead battery... Is there a better way?

Reply to
peterbythesea

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

On my 2002 TJ it is fuse #4. It goes in and out a lot. Keep something in the glove box to help pull it out with, like long-nose pliers or the special pulling thingy they sell for pulling these little fuses.

Do note that it also will deactivate your I-left-the-headlights-on tinkle bell, so that is the big tradeoff - you need to remember all on your own to turn off your lights when you get to work..... Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

It's labeled, so it's easy to find. Mine has been out so long, I lost it.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I was corrected further down the thread. I've lost my fuse #4. It's unneeded anyway.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Quadratec sells something just like that. I can't find it in my catalog, but I know I've seen it.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

What is the amperage of the inline fuse?

Reply to
peterbythesea

sorry to jump in on this thread but I was just looking at this last night. it's like 24.95 plus shipping here is the link to the page.

Mike S.

Spdloader wrote:

Reply to
mike smith

No need to be sorry to be jumping in, welcome to here Mike. This is an interesting thingy. From the picture and the words, I just cannot figure out what exactly it does. I also would want to know if the I-left-the-headlights-on tinkle bell problem is fixed by this, as it is unreferenced. Anyone familiar with this item? Tomes

Tomes

It replaces the mini fuse with a switch and an inline fuse. ON-normal OFF-no lights, no tinkle

I'm wondering if I should build one. It's so simple, why didn't I think of it? I guess because I don't miss the fuse not being there. I'd install it and probably leave it off anyway. I remember pulling that fuse in my rented Jeep, and putting it back before I returned it. I like to swing my doors open when I'm not moving for air. Real Jeeps have 360 AC!!!!

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

I don't know about TJs, but I just disconnect the door switch wires on my YJ. Plug them back in when I put the doors back.

Earle

Earle Horton

You can remove Fuse 4 from the fuse block to disable the overhead light that is hooked to the door switch. The light still works by the dimmer switch though ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

now thats cool on my 97 tj it came home the bolts came off the doors and the fuse came out for the lights. my 06 will most likely get the switch otr I will build one can't be to tough. would be cool to wire it to one of the blanks under the radio ( would it look stock?)

Mike S.

Reply to
mike smith