97 wrangler cracked plastic.....

Well, got down to about 25 degrees. My son opened the back window on his softtop (SHOULD NEVER HAVE AT THIS TEMP!) and it broke in half. So, to get past christmas bills, I need to tape it up with a tape that will hold a month or two. I would prefer to use something clear (not standard duct tape....) Any suggestions? This is an old wheelhorse (piece of crap) top. My plans now are to replace with a besttop as soon as we can. Any suggestions about a temp patch in the meantime?

cal

Reply to
Cal

There is a clear duct tape. I bought mine at Pep Boys.

Good Luck! Jim Smith

Reply to
Jim Smith

OK, I'm not to sure about the maker of this old top....ironhorse? I might be confusing the top with the lawn tractor...but I am sure it has been a piece of cr*p.

cal

Reply to
Cal

Thanks! I'll look for the clear duct tape...I'll have to try a hardware store or maybe autozone, no pep boys where i live..

cal

Reply to
Cal

You can get a roll of 2 inch wide tape made for weather-stripping in the window insulation aisle at your local lumberyard.that remains stable and flexible in cold temperatures. The brand they carry around here is "Frost King"

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

It's not really clear, but the stuff I have seen is fairly close. You couldn't make it clear, and have fibers in it for strength. It this hasn't occurred to you, you need to make this repair where it is warm. Take the window inside, and let it warm up, so the adhesive will stick. Then give it a couple of hours at least to set. Otherwise, when you bring it outside, the tape will fall right off.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I have gotten away for each season using clear packing tape. Just the common stuff. It stayed on very well and was even a pain to get off for the next season's tape job.

I tried 'duct' tape on a window crack last weekend and it already has failed and fallen partially off.

Mike

Mike Romain

Cal, Why not make the son figure it out? Have him do the research, and the running AND foot the bill for the tape AND figure out how to apply it in freezing temps.

Maybe next time he will think before he unzips.

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Reply to
Tom Peters

KJ.Kate did pass the time by typing:

Am I glad my coffee wasn't ready yet.

Reply to
DougW

Sure.

*pours a cup o coffee for Kate*
Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Whatever it was, he should have warmed her up before he opened his zipper... She frosted up on him, cracked under the pressure and split.

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Reply to
jbjeep

Cal proclaimed:

The roughly 2 inch wide heavy duty plastic tape works. Used for packaging, plastic window sheeting, etc. etc. Has enough stretch to hold tight in reasonably frigid temps.

Reply to
Lon

Or just borrow the missus hair dryer, but be sure to run it on low and long enough to remove all moisture.

Earle Horton proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Good ideas posted thus far. Another thought might be to stop by a greenhouse and see of they can give you a couple of feet of the tape they use to repair tears in the greenhouse film covering their Quonset structures. This has excellent plastic-to-plastic stick. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Thanks for all the replies! We just completed the packing tape fix, and it actually looks like it is holding very well. I might try the 'greenhouse tape' in the furture if I need to redo soon.

cal

Reply to
Cal

Go to a boat store and pick up a roll of bimini tape. It will last for years.

Reply to
News