97 wrangler steering box

Where is a good place to buy a steering box (manual) for a 97 wrangler?

How hard is it to remove and reinstall, especially the pitman arm. Is a pickle fork needed?

thanks

cal

Reply to
Cal

You will need a pitman arm puller and a 'BFH' as well, a pickle fork is useless for that part of the job. I can't help on the supplier.

Mike

Cal wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I'd try calling a few local junk yards.

L8r - George

pickle fork needed?

Reply to
Jersey

Do NOT use a pickle fork on the pitman arm. You must use a puller intended for the purpose. You'll damage the housing on the steering box if you use a pickle fork. That and you may well damage the other side of the box where the shaft connects. Use a puller designed for the purpose. Leave the forks for use on ball joints or tie rod ends.

Reply to
wkearney99

thanks for the info !

cal

Reply to
Cal

Hi Cal, I just borrowed a kit with a pitman arm puller and pickel forks over the Christmas holiday from O'Reilly Auto Parts. I had to put some money down, however, all was refunded after I was done. I think other auto parts stores have tools to use also. I know AutoZone has some tools. thanks, paul

97 TJ, 4.0L

Reply to
pbarton

Thanks paul. I didn't think about borrowing the needed tools for one of the local parts stores.

cal

Reply to
Cal

^ from