97 zj headlights

I have a problem. I went to replace my headlights on my 97 Grand Cherokee (they were incredibly yellow and fogged). I tried to put on the new ones and broke the plastic clips. I took them back and got some new ones. I have tried tapping them in, wiggling them in, tried liquid soap, grease on the clips, but cannot seem to get them on the little studs. I really do not want to break the clips again. Any ideas. Also, if I could get the clips off of the lights I could probably wiggle them on. any ideas on how to get the clips off without breaking them.

Reply to
mikl

You mount the headlight units by first placing the plastic clips in the holes in the sheet metal and then sliding the headlight unit pins into the plastic clips.

I placed a small amount of axle grease on the pins to ease their insertion and future removal.

Reply to
BillyRay

Reply to
mikl

I just pulled them off my 02 WJ, by hand, with some difficulty. Those clips have been on your ZJ for 8 years now and you might have to lubricate, wiggle and twist them before they come off. That is why I lightly greased the studs when I re-installed the headlight unit.

Reply to
BillyRay

Reply to
tim bur

I noticed some stuff at the local parts store that guarantees to remove the yellow oxidation from ur headlights...word has it that it works well and the product has a guarantee....anyone ever try this stuff?? I'm thinking on giving it a go... Jeff yellow headlighted '95 ZJ and '03 TJ

Reply to
Jeep