04 Corolla: headlights don't turn off....

The headlights are ALWAYS on! I switch the headlights to OFF on the stalk, but the headlights do not turn off. They do dim very slightly, so I would think the stalk switch itself is OK. I just bought the car with 80K miles. The seller says that there is nothing wrong, its a security feature for them to be on whenever the car is on. This might be OK for most people but not for me. I work nights on a military base, and the guards are upset with me if I don't turn off my headlights when approaching the gate...it blinds them. I just have a hard time believing they are designing cars with headlights that cannot be turned off.

Reply to
geronimo

They're called daytime running lights (DRLs).

You may have a switch that lets you turn the DRL feature on or off. Read your owner's manual. And, if you don't have one, get one.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

geronimo wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

They are called Daytime Running Lamps (DRLs).

Many people are annoyed at them, so many that Toyota has issued a document describing how to turn them off.

I can email this document if you wish. You can then have your local dealer or a garage perform the work of disabling the DRLs.

Reply to
Tegger

Reply to
geronimo

Yes, please do email the doc!

I went and looked at the dash sensor. It is funny....it is just a gray plastic (and opaque!) button that I can't pull up. How can it sense anything when it is just an opaque plastic button? It appears like a filler. But obviously the car does have this feature. I found through google that on some cars, all you have to do is pull the sensor up, and insulate one terminal, and this defeats the feature. Thanks, geronimo

Reply to
geronimo

The sensor can be adjusted for darkness levels. The dealer may be able to disable it entirely if you explain to them nicely that it is a security issue for the United States Military.

Reply to
user

The Toyota dealership will want to charge an arm and leg for disabling it. Looks like all that has to be done is cut red/wh wire going to term 12 of DRL module to disable DRL and auto-lights feature.

Reply to
geronimo

I'm pretty sure it's accessed through the ECM. Just wear your uniform and explain the situation of your funds. If I were running the service department it wouldn't cost you a plug nickel. Thanks.

Reply to
user

geronimo wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Sounds like you may already have got it from somebody. But check your mail anyway.

Reply to
Tegger