'99 GC - Dash won't dim

'99 GC 115k miles. Owned: 1 day.

Dash won't dim or interior lights come on by rotating switch on light switch. For what its worth, car has an after market radio in it.

Thoughts appreciated.

Chip L

Reply to
Chip L

Need a little more information. Tell me if I am correct. The dash lights come on, but will not dim? When you rotate the knob counter-clockwise, the interior light comes on, but if you rotate clock-wise, the interior light goes off, but will not dim the dash lights?

If the above is true, then it sounds like the dimmer has died.

HTH

Carl

Reply to
Carl

The dash lights come on with the lights but do not dim w/ the adj of the knob. The knob has no affect on dash or interior lights.

Carl wrote:

Reply to
Chip L

Probably a bad switch in the knob. Not sure if it's a dealer item or a junkyard item.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Isn't there a second dedicated dash dimmer switch?

Mike

Mike Romain

I have a '93 that has a separate switch for the headlights/park lights, and the interior lights. To dim the dash lights, and turn on the interior, you move the second switch. Mine is located on the left side of the dash, below the light switch. I'm not used to having a switch on the dash in a vehicle, so just about every time I drive at night, I first turn on the windshield wipers.... Hippie

Reply to
Hippie

Reply to
Chip L

My 2000 also has it on the headlight switch. Clockwise to time, counter clockwise to brighten. Counter clockwise past the 'click' to turn on interior lights.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

I would next suspect the stereo wiring.... I see folks that connect up the wrong wire to dash lights thinking the radio lights will come on with the headlight switch. This can be a power line for the power antenna or remote not a light wire like the old ones had.

Mike

Chip L wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Errr Dim, not time...

Carl

Reply to
Carl

You may be on to something, Mike. The aftermarket stereo has been 'hotwired" - it can be operational with the car turned off.....

Mike Roma> I would next suspect the stereo wiring.... I see folks that connect up

Reply to
Chip L