Headlights Stay on. 99 Explorer

Hey Everyone,

I have a 99 Explorer Sport and starting today, the front headlights won't turn off when vehicle is shut off. I've checked to make sure the lights are turned off from the switch, interior lights are off, fog lights off and the switch light on the rear view mirror is also set to off. My vehicle is turned off, however only the front headlights stay on...I've disconnected the battery and reconnected it, the lights still come on.....anyone have any ideas of what this could be???

Thanks again.

Reply to
Sic

Could be a bad headlight relay. It could also be a bad multi-function switch --located in the steering column. Swap relays around first.

HTH, Mark

Reply to
Mark Sparge

Got daytime running lights? Locate and pull the fuse (under the hood). If the lights go out, replace the DRL module.

Reply to
budman

i had the same problem then i found out that my car had day time running lights. there is a switch on the rear view mirror, says auto something. (not in my car right now) make sure that this switch is all the way to the left. In the owners manuel there should be a section on this.

Reply to
Sactokid

Daytime running lights or DRL are not controlled by any switch on the rearview mirror, they are entirely controlled by a DRL control module.

That switch on the mirror for some other headlight control system.

Reply to
Fred 2

Reply to
Big Shoe

What headlamp relay?

disconnected

Reply to
Ed Mann

Thanks everyone. Indeed it was the DRL module. Replaced module and lights now shut off.

Thanks again for all your help!!!

disconnected

Reply to
Sic

Thank everyone. Indeed it was the DRL module. Replaced module and lights now shut off.

Thanks again for all your help!!

Reply to
Sic

Reply to
rhudspeth

I had a similar problem with my 97' Saturn SL1. The high-beam lights were staying on even after the ignition was off. I replaced the DRL relay module and still had the problem. I then ended up taking the car to the dealer and they found that a there was a loose connection in the headlight harness.

Reply to
rhudspeth