99 Explorer won't start.

Hey Everyone,

My 99 Explorer just quit on me. Turns over chugging but just won't start. The exterior headlights and interior lights completely dim down when trying to start my SUV. Original battery from 99 still in vehicle...Would it be safe to say that it is my battery that died....can I go ahead and buy a new or should I tow in to the mechanic and see if anything else is causing the problem....

I drove to work this morning, started after the 3rd time..tonight it won't start at all...Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks again in advance.

Reply to
Si

I would go for the most likely thing first, that being the battery. The battery is 6 years old, And I am not sure what area of the country your in but here the temps have dropped to almost freezing and the is the killer of weak batteries.

Searcher

Reply to
Searcher1

Do you mean it cranks but will not turn over? If it cranks strong, it is not the battery, although at 6 years old, you should keep it on your mind to get a new one soon.

It's normal for the lights to dim somewhat during cranking. Again, if it cranks strong, battery is OK. But if it cranks slow, its probably the battery.

Original battery from 99 still in vehicle...Would it be

I still have the original battery in my 99 and it still cranks strong. Make sure it is the battery before buying one.

Reply to
Mikepier

I just put a new battery in my '99, two weeks ago. It went from being fine, to dead in two days.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy