99 JGCL check light and jerking transmission

I have a 99 JGCL V8 4X4, 50k miles. Today the Check Engine light went on and the transmission began to jerk from N to D and from 1st to 2nd gear, something that never happened before. I will try to go to AutoZone and have the code pulled, but any information from good people will be appreciated.

Thanks, Les

Reply to
plusa

plusa did pass the time by typing:

Check the transmission fluid level for starters.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

And the color and smell and consistency (foamy, milky) of the fluid in addition to the level...

Reply to
billy ray

A transmitter wired wrong will cause that.

That also maybe could be caused by the TPS. The TPS controls some shift points, I don't know about the neutral shift though.... The electrical connection on it can always benefit from a clean though. Contact cleaner is best but WD40 will do in a pinch.

The Jeep transmission also does 'NOT' have a high water vent like the diffs and t-case so you should make sure it isn't half full of water... It will look like purple milkshake if water is in the fluid.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain

I'd go with the gas cap if it weren't for the transmission also going berserk. For that I'd almost guess a loose wire/ground somewhere as I've not heard of TPS or CPS being that bizarre.

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Bill,

Thanks. The code P0700 indicates transmission module fault code, and I guess can be pulled by a dealer. The fault is often caused by transmission input or output speed sensors. All this I have got from your link. I'll try to clean connectors, and if this will not work, replace sensors (or sensor - they are identical.

Re transmission fluid, as some suggested, that was the first thing I've checked - clean, red, and correct level.

Les

Les

Reply to
plusa

In article , billy ray wrote: #And the color and smell and consistency (foamy, milky) of the fluid in #addition to the level...

With the new ATF+4, the color is no longer an indicator.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong