Advice on Possible First Jeep

Hi. I'm a college student in Indiana. I've been driving a little '95 Nissan Pickup for the last six years. After being told by my girlfriend that trucks "weren't sexy" I thought about looking around at new cars (ok, that and the fact I've kinda done the truck in). I've found a 1999 Jeep Wrangler (TJ, I believe?) SE. It's the SE, so it's got the small 4-cylinder engine, soft top, no air--pretty much your typical bare-bones Jeep. Oh, it has real roll-up windows as opposed to the clear plastic ones too, if that's not a given. It's had chrome covers added to the lights and custom wheels put on it as the only modifications. It has 32,000 miles, which is lower than the 65,000 miles Kelly Blue Book says a '99 should have. He's trying to sell it to me for $9,850. It's in excellent condition. This would obviously be my first Jeep, and I'm curious whether or not you guys can help me make a decision on whether or not I should buy it. I'm a bit worried about potential roll-over and how much I'm going to have to slow down on curves, how cold it might get in the winter with a soft top, and other quirks of having a Jeep I'd want to know about before I commit. I've also been told by one person that a 4 cylinder isn't going to have enough power. I'm not into off-roading at the moment and I'm not sure if I actually would be. However, I do want something 4wd, and I do several things (rock climbing, caving, etc) where the Jeepness of it might be useful. That's as much details as I can think of. If you have any other questions let me know. I'm just looking for feedback on whether it's a good price and whether or not I might be getting in over my head owning a Jeep. I have one very, very Jeep-enthusiastic friend who thinks it would be heresy for me to own a Jeep without plans to take it offroading, so I apologize for that.

Reply to
Steve

That sounds like a reasonable price.

The 4 banger is totally competent off road and in the city. It is no speed demon on the highway, but I have gone in convoy on trips and the 4 banger guys can keep the speed limit easy.

A TJ will take any ramp or corner easily at the posted speed limit for them.

They do not roll over any easier than your old truck, if anything, they are more square shaped which makes them more stable than your truck.

A sports car they aren't...

Most roll overs I hear about and see and have done, (twice over on the side for me) were at really low speeds with minimal damage or in some cases a bad crunch, but minor injuries.

The gas mileage on the 4 isn't great, about the same as the 6. 16 to 20 mpg depending on how heavy your foot is. It comes down to pushing a brick through the air, the smaller engine works harder so burns gas.

Mike

Steve wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
David C. Moller

get a new girlfriend.

Reply to
Matt Osborn

You have been warned.

Reply to
Peter Parker

"real" girlfriends think jeeps *are* sexy! Make the adjustment... ;-)

Reply to
TJim

Have to say I agree. I'd never buy a new car because my girlfriend told me mine "wasn't sexy".

As a side note, I like my 4cyl, but as so many have said before, I wish I had the 6. Money was an issue for me, and I paid $10k for my 99 last year with 25k miles on it. I just rolled over 38k due to some big road trips.

You asked about the soft top and the cold. I have full doors too, and although I'm sure they make a difference, it will not HOLD heat. It gets nice and toasty while you are driving (even on my short 3-4 mile drive to work), but if you park it and come back a short time later, it will be cold inside. I have no idea if a hardtop improves that or not.

You said it doesn't have A/C. What part of the country do you live in? If you think you might want it (wait, real Jeeps don't have A/C, right Bill? ;-) ) consider looking at another one. I paid $1250 to have A/C added. It will be well worth it in the San Antonio summers, but hurt the wallet anyway.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Drive it around - see if you like it. You can't go wrong either way.

I'm in Houston and one thing i notice is that they dont' have hard tops on the lot normally - i had to order one with both tops today.

Reply to
Valued User

How fast do you think I can comfortably go on the highway? I tend average at least 80 on highways and interstates.

Reply to
Steve

Dump the chick, or buy a speedo and dance for her. If you don't plan on Jeeping, keep the truck or buy a car. Sooner or later another girl will come along who likes you more than what you drive.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Heh. She does think jeeps are sexy. It's the pickup she didn't like.

And just for the record, that wasn't the real reason I was wanting another car. It's just something I like to give her shit about (after all, she gave me shit about my truck 'not being sexy' so I figure it's only fair).

Reply to
Steve

On 06 Dec 2003 02:38 PM, Steve posted the following:

She should just be happy that her bitch ass isn't walking instead.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Kiss those dreams goodbye unless all the roads you traval are downhill and the wind is always at your back. If you are so fortunate, invest in hearing protection with the soft top.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Nicely put.

Reply to
Peter Parker

80 in a TJ or any other short wheelbase Jeep is a seriously bad idea and is not really comfortable. While ours will go that fast and stay in the lanes, go around curves etc you can tell by the way it feels that a panic stop would be scary or even painful. I find myself moving out of the usual 75+ San Diego traffic in the 1 & 2 lanes over to the slower 65-70 right-hand lanes and taking more of a cruising attitude. Bottom line is you're not driving an off road capable road car, you're driving a road capable off road vehicle. That being said I would rather drive the Jeep than my more comfortable cars most of the time. Dave 01 TJ
Reply to
Dave Shannon

You won't be going 80 in any Jeep....

They are ok for stability up to about 75, but get any faster and they get way too twitchy.

The short wheel base reacts too fast to minor steering changes and passing a semi at those kind of speeds is down right scary.

I am comfortable in mine up to 75, but any more is white knuckle territory.

Jeeps are low geared so getting up there isn't bad.

When we run in convoy, I try and stay under 70. Everyone can keep up that way.

Mike

Steve wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I have had my YJ up to 85. It was downhill with a tail wind, and not the smartest thing to do, but I needed to pass a CJ-7!

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

My TJ is stable at any speed I've taken it to so far. I drive 80mph for at least 5 miles every day on a streach of I287 in NJ on my way to work.

It tracks dead straight and will stay they way with little effort. That being said however, if you twitch at 80mpg you're gonna DIE. Once you get out of control at a speed that high I doubt even the best drivers could recover so paying attention is a must.

Drop it down to 70mph and things are a lot more forgiving. There is time to think at that speed.

However, tire pressure has a *HUGE* effect > You won't be going 80 in any Jeep....

Reply to
Tim Hayes

At 12/6/03 17:59, Peter Parker bespake thusly:

Unless of course she coughs up to help buy the Jeep.

Reply to
Lon Stowell