Advice on Possible First Jeep

Too much money!! I paid that for my '97 TJ a year ago, and it has the

4.0L engine, hard top, AC, sound bar, and was in near-mint condition with 67K miles.

The 4.0L engine in a MUST in my opinion unless you are just going to use it for off-road in which case the 4-banger is reputed to work fine. But it's a fun vehicle to drive with the 4.0L, and with 10K to spend you should be able to find a good one with a 4.0L engine!

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff Olsen

Contrary to what Jeff O. says, the price that the PO is asking is exactly what it should be for a private party sale. Wholesale on that Jeep is $8500, Retail is $10,500. Private party sale price should be just about halfway between these 2 figures, or $9500. The wheels may up the price a bit, I did not account for them.

If he can supply you with complete service records and it looks well cared for, go for it. But be forwarned, once you enter the Jeep world, there is no turning back! You *will* end up driving it off road, and then because you enjoy it so much you'll end up modifying and fixing up a few things here and there for an even better off-road experience. It gets into your blood. You'll start waving at other Jeep drivers (short wheelbase models only of course) It's addictive, I tell you...

WRT the Roll Over issue: It won't unless you try to drive it like a sports car. But it isn't, so you won't, and it won't roll over (on the road at least, what you do off-road is up to you!!).

WRT the soft top being cold, turn up the heater. The heaters in modern Jeeps are pretty darn good. If it's really cold put on a jacket. You could even get a hardtop if you really want one though they are certainly not mandatory. I have one on my Wrangler because we live in New Hampshire and it's a bit easier to clear the snow off in the mornings with the HT.

WRT no AC. Huh? I thought you said it was a soft top. There's your AC, lad. Pull down the top, yank off the doors, toss in your gear and head for the caves, or the mountains or whatever it is that you want to do. No sweat!

My advice? Buy the Jeep. You will NOT regret it...

-Fred W '97 TJ

modifications.

Reply to
Fred W.

Ya I got the 2-50 Air Conditioner option

2 doors off at 50MPH :-)
Reply to
FrankW

Reply to
twaldron

Noisier, though.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Fred said: "...head for the caves..."

Jeepsplunking?Under-roading? Is everybody doing it?-Hank

Reply to
COLLIDE13

Been there, done it twice. Just be carefull of the drop offs and narrow passages.

We actually got 30 Jeeps into a cave in KY. Thye record is something like 42 in that cave.

Reply to
Swede4198

yeah, but how many came OUT?

Reply to