cleaner = snake oil??

my '89 240 will be due for emissions inspection next month. It has about

208,000miles on it, and in the 3 years I've owned it, has had no problem passing the emissions. I changed the cat converter about 2 years ago, the O2 sensor a year or so ago, and the plugs, distributor cap and rotor about a month ago. The air filter probably has 4000 miles on it, so I might put a new one on just for the inspection. It runs ok, but I've been thinking about putting in a bottle of one of the fuel system additives that are "guaranteed" to help pass emissions tests. My thought is that even if it was going to pass anyway, it might not hurt to clean it out.... so my questions are:
  1. are they generally safe to use?
  2. does the bottle do more than the "injector cleaner"?

I'm guessing that they are mostly "snake oil", but if they do no harm and MIGHT do some good, perhaps it's worth throwing a bottle in the system occasionally..... Any thoughts????

Reply to
Otto Mobile

It might do some good for the people who make money on the cleaner.

Reply to
Marvin Margoshes

The only such product I know of that WORKS is Chevron's Techron......but it costs more than $6 a bottle.....usually more like $12, but some places do discount it. The bottom line is that it really works and is worth the cost....

PC

| | |

Reply to
Proconsul

Most of it is snake oil, if your car is running well and getting normal fuel economy then chances are it'll pass emissions.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
John Robertson

This stuff, and other products that BG makes, are excellent. Be prepared to spend a little more for the quality.

RS

James Sweet wrote:

Reply to
Rusty