2001 TJ Air Cleaner

Hello,

I have a 2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 L. I purchased a new air cleaner/filter (Mopar part # 04797777AC). The stock filter & the Mopar replacement are both the same size, but it sits in the air cleaner box on top of a foam pad (same dimensions L x W & is ~ 3/4" thick). The foam pad is impregnated with oil. The replacement does not come with a new pad. I purchased the new filter at my original dealership (Goodwin/Sumter, SC) and checked at another (Galeana/Columbia, SC), & neither show this foam pad in their system.

My question is should I re-use this pad and what do I do when it becomes unusable? Without it, will create a gap in the top of the air cleaner box even though the filter is surrounded by a rubber seal. Or should I just throw away the foam pad and put in the new filter without it? The Jeep is 3 years old and is the first air cleaner replacement.

Thanks very much,

Campbell Freeman Columbia, SC

Reply to
Campbell Freeman

They did make a change to the replacement filters. Throw the old one away along with the pad, and put the new one in as is. It'll be fine.

Reply to
bllsht

Thanks very much for the info. One final question. The way the stock filter is mounted in the box is foam pad on the bottom and the filter on top of it, pleats down, screen/gasket side facing up. I have seen pictures of filters mounted both ways...pleats up or down. Which is correct or does it matter?

Thanks again,

Campbell Freeman

Reply to
Campbell Freeman

I've never tried, but I don't think the lid will fit if it's in wrong. Just in case it does, screen up is the proper way.

Reply to
bllsht

I just went out and bought a replacement air cleaner from the dealer today (Mopar part number is 04797777AB) and it has that foam pad at the bottom. Instructions on the box suggest that it only goes in one way, pad facing down and screen up.

TW

--

01 TJ Renegade 4.0L Auto D30/44, 265/75R16 BFG Muds

Reply to
TW

Thanks to all.

Reply to
Campbell Freeman

This is another rip off from the dealer. The orginal one has foam on it but if you buy a new one it does not( they got rid of it a couple of years ago). If you buy a Fram air filter or a Jobber it will have a small sheet of foam on it. The biggest ripoff is that the TJ air filter sells for the same price as the orginal one with the foam. They took it off but did not lower the price. The new filters look Identical to the YJ filters which are much lower in price. Why does the dealer charge so much for TJ filter?

Go to your local parts store and get a Jobber and save $$.

Reply to
Snowboardripper