almost done

The 76 CJ-7 is almost ready. The engine (AMC 360) is installed and running well. I only have a few small things to fix/adjust. One particular thing has been a real thorn. The original alternator on this has obviously been changed because it was switched over to electronic ignition a while ago. When the new alternator was installed, part of the bracket was either ommitted or just plain missing from the beginning. Consequently, the alternator cannot and will not be held in place at the correct angle. I have the lower bracket where the adjustment slide is located and I have the bracket that bolts to the water pump (2 places, just above and below the heater hose connection port). I am missing the bracket that ties it all together, the bracket that (hopefully) holds the angle true to position with the other pulleys. I've searched the internet but have found nothing. Tomorrow, I'm going to call the boneyards and a few Jeep dealers to see what I can locate. Anybody here experience anything similar?

Thanks

Chip Jenkins

Reply to
Chip

What kind of alternator?

If the GM one, the lower bracket is fixed to the pump and timing cover with tube shaped shims in 2 places to line it up and pivots the alternator and one curved bar with the slide that goes up top. Only 2 brackets involved.

Mike

Chip wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I guess I'm not sure what kind of alternator it is. I cannot really tell right now because the Jeep is not in my garage yet. I can tell you that the pivot is on the top, just where the book (service manual) shows it to be. The curved bar with the slide goes on the bottom. Those two brackets by themselves are not sufficient to hold the alternator in place. I need the missing bracket.

Chip

Reply to
Chip

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

Shim would be the correct terminology

Chip wrote:

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

No it wouldn't.

These are spacers. Shims are flat. I used that wrong word that you are 'correcting' but snipped for some strange reason.

You don't know enough to start correcting my posts bud, so unless you want me to be on your ass for every dumb thing you have posted, back off.

Your computer clock is off 12 hours.

Mike

"Robb S via CarKB.com" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike,

As far as I can tell, I have all of the correct spacers. Today, I got a fax from a dealership that 'kinda' shows the brackets. I'm missing two brackets as compared to the drawing. One of them is no longer available and the other bracket is available in two different styles, although the dealership parts guy told me that the book did not explain why there were two different styles. I'm guessing that there is one for AC and one without. He said that I'd need to get the part number that is stamped on the part to order the correct one. Until I see one, I cant be sure what the mystery bracket actually does. The picture is not detailed enough to help.

I called about 10 different boneyards. None of them said that they had a mid-70's AMC V-8 engine in their yard. The largest one that I know about told me that they unloaded most of their pre-80's cars when steel prices shot up.

My last 'simple' option is to look for AMC V-8 engines and examine the brackets. A guy I know has two of them (I just called him) and I'll look at them and possibly copy a bracket or two, if it is the same.

ANYONE - If you have a V-8 AMC in anything, take a picture of the alternator connection points. I will not be able to copy the bracket but I should be able to see how it is supposed to go.

Mike, Thanks for all of your help - I know who I can count on for help and I know a troll when I see one.

Chip

Reply to
WKJ

A freind has a 75 cherokee with 360, will email him right now and see if he can go pop the hood and take a pic.

Reply to
Greg

Thanks Greg,

I dont know how much it will help. I went to a new friend's house today and looked at two different Jeeps with 8 cyl engines in them. The years were different but the engine compartment looked very similiar. There were no other brackets than the two that I have on mine. I dont really know what the dealer picture was showing. Maybe I'm looking for something that really does not exist (As Mike said previously, there are only two brackets). If someone can show me a V-8 with additional brackets, I'll centaintly look.

Chip

Reply to
Chip